Geno Smith Getting Punched Out Of A Job

Geno Smith Getting Punched Out Of A Job

Well, this time it only took a punch. This crucial blow came from one of his teammates, not an opponent. Ikemefuna Enemkpal's haymaker has sent a ravishing hit that still stings within the hearts of Jets' fans.

7
Geno Smith Getting Punched Out Of A Job
Associated Press

He didn't just lose his job in a quarterback battle in friendly competition. Geno was punched out, literally. Currently, the new starting quarterback for the New York Jets is Ryan Fitzpatrick. The only other two quarterbacks available on the roster are rookies: Bryce Petty (4th Rd Pick from Baylor) and Jake Heaps (undrafted from BYU).

Jets' fans eagerly awaited Geno's opportunity to progress and develop as their starting quarterback. With a new head coach, Todd Bowles, this is another step backwards in the wrong direction once again. The Jets were 8-8 last year and have high hopes for the new year.

However, some Jets' fans didn't want Geno as the lead man taking snaps for them. They unfortunately received their wish long before the regular season even started. Ultimately, the preseason usually determines who orchestrates the offense once it's complete, concluding the the month of August. The four-game battle will channel who starts after reviewing the film and his play on the football field. Well, this time it only took a punch. This crucial blow came from one of his teammates, not an opponent. Ikemefuna Enemkpal's haymaker has sent a ravishing hit that still stings within the hearts of Jets' fans.

You would think he'd show more composure and self-discipline, and especially, more respect for his team's quarterback. Enemkpal's job is to disrupt the quarterback by all means necessary, but usually that's regarding the opposing team.

Willie Colon said, "All good teams have adversity. Right now, we have the Detroit Lions and that’s where our focus is at. We’re not trying to create a culture like that. If you have an issue with another man, you talk about it, you don’t put your hands on anybody. We’re all professionals and we all have to be able to control our temper and whatever the situation is."

Willie goes on to talk about Ryan Fitzpatrick.

"One hundred percent. He’s a veteran guy, I’ve seen him play (and) know what he’s capable of. We believe in him, we trust in him. That’s where our head is at."