Why Gender Inequality Will Never Be Resolved

892
Buzzfeed Yellow - Screen Capture from Video

Whether or not there is a "war on women" has been a hot topic for quite some time, now. Gender equality, specifically between men and women, has several layers. From differences in the workforce to roles in the household, men generally only seem to bring up issues of inequality when it is unfavorable to them while women generally fight for equal treatment in every aspect of their lives. But let me tell you: if gender inequality truly exists, it will never completely be resolved. While there are some exceptions, the following examples are generalizations.

Men don't have to keep up with current case laws that dictate what men can do to them, such as the loophole in Georgia's privacy law that makes it legal for men to stick a camera up a woman's skirt or dress to snap photos. And this is all because lawmakers didn't word the privacy law to include such a high degree of intrusion into personal privacy.

Most men will never know the feeling women have when walking alone at night. In some areas, walking through a parking lot in the daytime can induce anxiety in women. Men will never know what it's like to be prey. Men generally don't have to worry about a man approaching them on the street with the intent to overpower and attack them.

Men will never know what it's like to potentially be a victim, to be vulnerable. Women are always super-aware of their surroundings, often carrying pepper spray as a method of defense. Honestly, women probably need to be the ones carrying guns, but when women who don't look the part go to apply for a carry permit, they are often chided by men who view them as a "little lady."

Men will never know how uncomfortable it is to be called terms of endearment by strangers twice their age. While I understand that I live in the South, and terms like "darling" and "dear" are common and generally harmless, it is seriously uncomfortable to be called "baby doll" or "sweetheart" by a grungy, hasn't-showered-in-a-week man that is old enough to be my grandfather.

This is what women go through every day. Women face inequality in the workforce, often with less pay than men for the same positions or being overlooked for promotions despite being equally, if not more, qualified than a man.

Successful women are talked about often in the media, but not for their success. Typically, the media latches on to a successful woman's family life, outfit selection or beauty. If you need an example, click here to see the difference in how men and women in the Olympics were talked about by the media.

Women can choose to be victims. We can choose to be defenseless and pitiful. We can get discouraged, shrugging our shoulders and saying, "It's a man's world." Or we can stand up for who we are: powerful, beautiful and successful women who aren't to be trifled with. Let me be clear in saying that all men are not bad, and I am in no way trying to add fuel to the fire in the "battle of the sexes." I believe that most men, and most people, are generally good, but it is the bad few that give the whole group a poor reputation. I am not an advocate for pushing gender equality. Gender roles don't have to be equal, but they should be fair.

The best way to resolve gender inequality is not to play into the hands of men who don't understand. A man tries to stick a camera up your skirt? What a bad day for him, because you're capable of defending yourself. If we teach men that we are equals by leveling the playing field, we can finally get some justice, but that isn't the point. The fact that women have to put in the effort to level with men reveals the severity of gender inequality in our society. We may have to work harder, but we will be better for it.