Gen Z Will Never Truly Understand How We Felt Growing Up With Harry Potter

I met Emma Watson in real life, and I'm surprised I didn't cry.
339

Is it just me or are other people also getting the feels for the new Fantastic Beast film? I’m a huge Harry Potter nerd. I cried so hard in the movie theater when the last Harry Potter movie screened. I’m so in love with the series, so much so that I’m planning to get the Deathly Hallows tattooed on me.

To be honest, I’m surprised I haven’t even gotten it done yet! Kiddos of Generation Z, the ones born after the Millennials, will never truly understand the intensity of what it felt like growing up watching the franchise.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the new Fantastic Beast franchise but only because I was in denial for so long that my childhood had ended when the Harry Potter movies did.

I grew up with the magical trio themselves. I was around six when the first movie came out, and at the time I had two really close best friends, so it was as if I saw us three on the screen.

Recently, I visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios in Los Angeles. I have dreamt of going to the UK to visit the set of Harry Potter for the real deal but I haven’t had the opportunity yet. Universal Studios is the best I can do for now. When I was there, I realized that the majority of people who were having the most fun were people in their early 20s. Sure there were little rascals running around in little robes and wands but us, millennials, grew up with so much curiosity; wondering what the wizarding world was like.

1. Wondering what butterbeer tastes like

2. Waiting to receive your Hogwarts acceptance letter

3. Punching Dudley in the face

4. Looking for Platform 9 and 3/4 at every train station you went to

5. Getting sorted into your house

(By the way, I’m Slytherin.)

6. Playing Quidditch

There's Quidditch in college, guys. I'm shook.

7. Spending most of your childhood going “It’s leviOsa, not leviosA”

I teared up going through “Hogwarts” when I was on the ride. Harry Potter meant so much more to me than just a movie. While he was going through difficult trials in his life, fighting Voldemort and trolls in the girl’s bathroom, I was being bullied and fighting Voldemorts and trolls of my own. Harry gave me hope that I wouldn’t give up. No matter how many times I felt like I’d lost, I remembered him not quitting and as a young teen constantly watching movies and being surrounded by media. I think I chose a pretty good role model.

Growing up side by side with Harry and being around the same age as him, allowed me to fight my battles while he was fighting his. I’m happy that people of Gen Z will be able to experience a different type of wonder and curiosity through the new franchise. It was a magical experience for me and I hope it is for them as well.