Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?

Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?

An argument against making gay marriage illegal.

31
The Atlantic

Some time ago, I read an article on whether gay marriage should be legal. The article began with the authors explaining that marriage should be between a man and a woman. The “logic” behind this is that God created man and woman to be married to each other. The author states that marriage is a reflection of God and therefore homosexuals shouldn't be able to get married. The authors also stated that the sanctity of marriage and family is at stake if homosexuals are allowed to get married.

The notion that the sanctity of marriage and family is at risk is completely absurd. The sanctity of marriage was gone long ago when people started trading their daughters for goods without allowing the women to decide what they want. If the sanctity of marriage was something the large population worried about, divorce would not be legal and there would be more to help get rid of domestic abuse. There is no point in trying to save sanctity of family and marriage; that is long gone in today's society. The authors state that homosexual activity is a sin because it is stated in the Bible. People quote bible verses in order to attempt to prove that God thinks gay marriage is a sin. If you want to live by the Bible, you should also mention the fact that slavery is a big topic that God apparently approves of (Leviticus 25:44-46, Ephesians 6:5). Moving past the whole bible quoting thing, the author has to realize that not everyone in the world follows the same religion or believes in the same God(s). It is outright stupid to think that your religion is above everyone else's and can be the only one that is right. Out of the hundreds of religions around the world, the chance of one of them being the actual truth is very, very, very slim. So governing a whole entire according to YOUR religion is absurd. Especially in a country where we value secularism.

If someone believes homosexuality is wrong and homosexuals shouldn't get married because it's not what their God wants, then they shouldn't be homosexual (not that it's a choice but people seem to think it is) and they shouldn't get married to someone of the same sex. It is nobody's right to take away other people's rights. A gay marriage should not be affecting you if you aren't in the wedding. Frankly, there are bigger issues to focus on because someone's happiness that isn't dangerous to anyone should not be the main issue. Let people live and love how they want and who they want as long as it's between consenting people.