An Open Letter: Why I Don't Want to Be Your Gay Best Friend

Today as a gay man I am asked daily if I can give an opinion on your clothes, hair, or your boy situation. I love working with you, and some days I do want to talk about it, but usually I don't. I don't want to sit around watch project runway and sip on Pink Moscato. I am now your person to go to when you have to deal with something. I will not do your hair, I am actually terrible at it and i can barley braid. I have forty-ish brothers, and all of them look to me when it comes to relationship or fashion advice. I am letting you know now that I am bad at fashion and I have failed at every relationship that I have ever had. I am no longer someone who should try and help you. I love to be the person to vent to, but I need to vent as well. I am sorry that you do not approve of the fact that I am an out loud gay man. I am out loud and have had struggles. I want to be able to talk to you about how I am falling for a guy who I can't date. I want to tell you that liking a guy who is a closet case is hard. I want to learn to trust you to have the ability to come to you.

I could talk day in and day out about gay rights and why I don't agree with the gay marriage ruling but we won't go there. I don't want to talk to you about why and who is right. To me everyone is right everyone has the right opinion and everyone deserves t be heard, so yes gay marriage is okay. I just don't care for it.

I would love to go out with you and get some cosmos and talk about them. I would love to do that, but then again, I don't want to. What makes you different from the 20 other girls who want to talk to me and say they love me daily? Do you love me more? Do you just want to have a friend to talk to? About work, everyone's life (aka boys)? I have been channeling my inner rant to my best friends in this world, so here it is. I love you and care about you, but I am just done with hearing about your life. I want you to help me and to care about me as well. If you don't, I don't know how we will carry on as friends. Till next time.