The Songs Of Ice And Fire: 'Game Of Thrones' Season 6 Finale Review

Spoilers, and lyrics that inspired my favorite finale moments.

13
HBO

This season marks the first season that show writers didn’t have George R. R. Martin’s source material to draw from. Many viewers and critics were wary about how the season would play out without an accompanying book to compare it too. Although I’m sure the producers were in Mr. Martin’s close consult, if this season is what we get when we move past the published books, then damn, I hope he doesn’t finish the books any time soon!

This season was my absolute favorite. It didn’t hold back. From the revelation of how Hodor got his name to the reappearance of The Hound, this season was absolutely packed with revelations and revivals that felt like a big glass of water for the fans. Past seasons seemed to present more questions than answers, but not this season. Instead, this season came busting through all the speculation and theories with truth bomb after truth bomb like Miley swinging in on the wrecking ball. And just as this season has been one for the books, the season finale certainly lived up to the hype. So here are the biggest revelations from the finale headed by the song lyrics I think perfectly describe their finale scenes... SPOILERS, DUH!

1. "I Love Bad Bitches, That's My F******* Problem."

I love Jon Snow as much as the next person. Daenerys' scenes give me goose bumps, and I'm always rooting for Sansa's revenge. But if I'm being honest, I am in love with Cersei's character more than any other. She's a powerful woman in a world dominated by men. She is as dangerous and fierce as a lioness. Her absolute ruthless badassery (word?) always leaves me speechless. In a world without the magic to bring back the dead (Jon Snow) or mystical dragons to bring cities to their knees (Daenerys), Cersei would be the real power of Westeros. I know many people are turned off by her tactics, but that's because people are applying real life morals to a world that operates far outside our realm of right and wrong.

Tonight Cersei really brought down the Lannister fist on her enemies. The opening of the finale was mercilessly dominated by Cersei blowing up the Sept using wildfire. In an instant, a handful of regular characters were disintegrated in the wonderfully deadly green flames. Most notably, this strike ended the run of the High Sparrow and the "I get by on my looks" Queen, Margaery Tyrell. I mean, she literally used the nuclear weapons of her world..and her smile as she looked onto the explosion just cemented her as the resident Bad Bitch of Westeros. And if I'm being honest, one of my favorite moments was Margaery knowingly looking to the High Sparrow right before the explosion devoured them all. Perfection.

Now this could have been enough, but she wasn't done yet. More much deserved comeuppance was still to come. Remember this horrid bi-atch:

Yep, the one that walked behind a naked and virtually buzz cut Cersei. Well Cersei made sure to keep her alive. After the explosion, we see Cersei waterboarding that Shame mongrel with wine (how Cersei). To keep it short (as you can see I get carried away with Cersei story lines), she's stuck in the dungeon with The Mountain. And not much can beat Cersei walking out of the dungeon saying, "Shame, shame, shame."

And we still aren't done with Cersei. Big baby, Margaery-whipped King Tommen killed himself because of Margaery's death (good riddance douche nozzle without balls). He threw himself out of a window, effectively vacating the Iron Throne (and fulfilling the prophecy given to Cersei as a girl). Jamie arrived just in time to watch as a black clad, pixie cut, general looking Cersei was officially crowned Queen. Although it probably won't last too long, this WOMAN accomplished what many tried and most failed to do: She won the Game of Thrones. And she did it without magic. Without marriage. And without dragons.

2. "Hi kids! Do you like violence? Wanna see Arya stick Frey's sons' nails into his dinner pie dish?"

I cheered so hard when Arya finally left Jaqen H'ghar and the House of Black and White, but after she killed that POS Waif, I didn't think we would get to see her until next season. I have never been so happy to be so WRONG. So let's set the scene: Walder Frey sits alone in a dining hall asking for his two sons as a beautiful woman serves him a slice of meat pie (and he serves her with a slap on the ass). As Walder Frey commences to complain about how late his sons are, the woman informs him they have already arrived. He commands her to have them come to the dining all at once, but she informs him that they are already there...and there they were...in pieces...in the meat pie on his plate. Cue Arya pulling the face off and slicing that wrinkled ball sack's throat.

This episode was overflowing in comeuppance. And just to recap what it actually takes to cheer on cannibalism, Walder Frey was responsible for the infamous Red Wedding. And his two filleted and pie-baked sons, Black Walder and Lothar, were the ones that actually killed Catelyn Stark and Talisa (Robb Stark's pregnant wife), respectively. I'm loving the girl power on this episode (and series, honestly).

So with Walder Frey effectively off the death list, who's left on Arya's quest for revenge? Two people: Melisandre and Cersei. Her next steps could go either way, but my money is on the Red Woman since Jon Snow sent her south after it was revealed to him by Davos that she burned poor little Princess Shireen at the stake. Only time will tell if I'm right, but either way it's gonna be a wild ride. Also, does anyone else think Jaqen was preparing her for this all along??

3. "I Got My Swim Trunks And My Flippie Floppies..."

I swear, for as long as winter has been coming, so has Daenerys' trip to Westeros. And this is something I suspected might finally happen tonight, but I was cautious to fully commit and get my heart ripped out. Well, guess what everyone?!?!?! She's on the boat, and although I didn't see any flippie floppies, I did see horses, The Unsullied, and three dragons flying overhead. It finally happened, with Yara's fleet, Dany is on her way to break the wheel.

So far, Dany has the support of the Iron Islands, but this episode reveals even more allies for the Dragon Queen. Varys previously left Mereen on a secret mission, and tonight it was revealed to be to Dorne. Although I think most people guessed where he was going, it was awesome to see him there. Dorne's plotline was brilliantly laid for Dany's siege. There Varys emerged through the shadows as Ellaria Sand and the Sand Snakes seem to present the idea of supporting the Dragon Queen to LADY OLENNA (Margaery's grandmother). Next season is going to be CRAZY!

4. "The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyways."

This must be mentioned since "Winter is coming" became the meme du jour of the internet since it never seemed to come. Well, on the GOT Season 6 finale, winter officially came.

And there you have it, a complete recap of the Season 6 Game of Thrones finale. It was epic. It wild. And it was....JUST KIDDING! Although I'm a Cersei fan through and through, I saved the absolute best for last:

5. "Though Back at the Time, I Never Thought I'd See Her Face, Ain't a Woman Alive That Could Take My Mama's Place."

The most famous GOT fan theory of all was proven true courtesy of Bran Stark's warging abilities: Jon Snow is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. And just like that, the bastard Jon Snow is no longer a thing. Sadly, only Bran knows this right now, but I so look forward to this revealing itself in the future. The entire series by R. R. Martin is titled A Story of Ice and Fire. Many people take this to mean Dany (and her dragons) versus the white walkers...but it could definitely mean the story of Jon Snow seeing as he literally is a mix of ice and fire. Damn, I just simply love this series!

Further developments on the Jon Snow front were revealed: The houses of the North officially declared Jon Snow as King of the North (even as a supposed bastard). This declaration by house leaders comes shortly after Little Finger revealed to Sansa that everything he does is to see himself on the Iron Throne with her as his queen. On a side note, I seriously laughed. Like, sure, have goals, but really Little Finger? You ran a whore house...it's almost as laughable as those audition tapes that show Tom Hiddleston seriously trying out for the part of Thor...

Any who, Little Finger was planning on Sansa being declared Queen of the North since she is the only Stark known to be alive that is legitimate (so they think). However, the Little Finger's face fell ice cold and, shall we say, devious (so his normal face I guess you could say) as Jon Snow was pronounced King of the North. Will he be plotting for Jon Snow's death next season. That absolutely doesn't surprise me, but at least Sansa already knows it's coming...

There were so many things that happened in the finale that it's hard to keep up with every detail, and I'm sure future viewings of this episode will reveal even more nuanced details that I missed during the first viewing. However, I was so taken with this episode (and my deadline) that I just had to write about my first impression of this fantastic episode. And for those of you that were playing along, the songs referenced above were, in order of mention:

1. ASAP Rocky - "Fucking Problem"

2. Eminem - "My Name Is"

3. The Lonely Island - "I'm on a Boat"

4. Idina Menzel - "Let It Go"

5. Tupac - "Dear Mama"

I hope everyone enjoyed this episode as much as me. Time to cancel HBO for 10 months and get started on the dreadful wait until football and "The Walking Dead" make my Sundays meaningful again. See you next year, GOT!