"Game of Thrones" Season 6 Finale Recap

"Game of Thrones" Season 6 Finale Recap

An epic conclusion to an epic season.

8
"Game of Thrones" Season 6 Finale Recap

Well as you can all imagine I’ve been wearing black to mourn the loss of "Game of Thrones" (GoT) season six all week. The 68-minute season finale had audiences reeling nearly every minute of the episode. In preparation for the final 13 episodes that awaits us before the ultimate conclusion to the storyline, let’s have a quick look at the final episode and all the epic anarchy that ensued.

*Crazy ass spoilers coming up*

To begin, I knew something insane was about to happen the minute I saw Cersei Lannister dressed in that badass black armored dress that appeared eerily similar to the usual garb of her late father, Tywin Lannister. As predicted, she brought the pain when she quite literally annihilated all of her immediate threats when she blew up the Septon, with the leftover Wildfire (the same chemical that Tyrion Lannister used to defeat Stannis Baratheon's navy in an earlier season - the green stuff) from the days of The Mad King.

Cersei Lannister’s little escapade took the lives of many long time GoT characters, some newer ones, and some that we were truly saddened to see go. To begin with, poor Grand Maester Pycelle finally met his doom by the hands of creepy "Children-of-the-Corn"-esque children and the basement of the castle where The Mountain got Frankenstein-ed. Furthermore, Cersei Lannister pretty much screwed herself when she lit the wildfire beneath the Septon because she killed the High Sparrow…or should I say vaporized the High Sparrow, however, she unfortunately took the lives of Loras Tyrell, and sadly, beautiful Queen Margaery Tyrell. Although I was shocked and saddened by her death, I was satisfied that she had her moment to tell the High Sparrow to “forget about the bloody gods,” before she was blown up.

After his bride was obliterated at (obviously) the hands of his mother, King Tommen Baratheon made the impulsive, yet courageous decision to throw himself out a window of the Red Keep. Thus confirming the prophecy given to Cersei Lannister when she was a girl…that she would bury all three of her children. With Tommen Baratheon dead, Cersei Lannister is coronated and made Queen of Westeros, which leads to an intense showdown between Jaime Lannister and herself. You could practically see the love drain out of their relationship.

Over in Mereen, the Mother of Dragons cuts loose her lover-boy Daario Naharis, when she tells him that he will be staying behind to keep the peace in Mereen while Daenerys Targaryen and her massive army sail on towards Westeros with every intention of f**king Cersei Lannister up. Meanwhile, in the interest of Daenery Targaryen’s endeavors, everyone’s favorite bald-head eunuch, Varys, has made his way to Dorne, where he has now formed an alliance with Ellaria Sand, and the Sand Snakes (the mistress and daughters of the late Oberyn Martell,) as well as with the mourning Lady Olenna Tyrell, who is in the process of mourning the loss of her son as well as her beloved grandchildren. Being the tough broad that she is, Olenna Tyrell obviously backs Daenerys Targaryen's cause, looking for any opportunity to take revenge on Cersei Lannister.

So now, fully equipped with the Dothraki, the Unsullied, the Second Sons, The Dornish, the Tyrell army and the Greyjoy army (Yara Greyjoy and Theon Greyjoy struck an agreement with Daenerys Targaryen in episode nine), oh yeah and her three massive fire breathing dragons, Danenerys Targaryen sets sail to claim the Iron Throne in the—as usual—totally badass closing scene of the finale.

Meanwhile, in the north, Winterfell is now adorned by house Stark banners once again after Ramsay Bolton met a horrifying yet intensely satisfying demise in the “Battle of the Bastards.” Jon Snow and Sansa Stark struggle to unite the North. However, with the help of 10-year-old Lady Lyanna Mormont, the only surviving Mormont with the exception of Jorah Mormont, who is off God-knows-where, the houses of the North united behind the Starks, declaring Jon Snow the “King in the North,” which was a totally sob-worthy moment. However, a brief exchange of glances between Sansa Stark and Littlefinger implies that not all may remain well between the newly reunited Stark children.

Moving on to probably the most satisfying scene of the entire finale was Arya Stark - who finally got her revenge of Walder Frey, the host of the Red Wedding that caused the deaths of Catelyn Stark and Robb Stark way back in season three. Arya Stark used her talents that she acquired throughout her time in the House and Black and White and disguised herself as a servant girl before slitting Frey’s throat in the same room that Robb Stark and Catelyn Stark died in. It was a major **** yeah moment. Now we patiently await Arya Stark’s reunion with the remaining three other Stark children.

Lastly, Bran Stark used his "Warginess" to unveil one of the biggest secrets of the entire series. We finally got to see the conclusion of the Tower of Joy scene, which featured a young Ned Stark climbing the stairs of an isolated stone tower to find his sister Lyanna Stark, bleeding to death in a bed. Lyanna Stark is begging Ned Stark for his aid, and after leaning in to whisper to him the circumstances, the only thing that can be clearly made out (after watching the scene over several times) is, “Robert will kill him if he finds out, you know he will.” Which would mean that Jon Snow is actually half Targaryen, confirming the widely-thought theory. Young Ned Stark is then handed a baby, and when the camera trains in on the newborn’s face, a stealthy screen cut to Jon Snow’s face basically shouted the fact that the baby is him. Could this be one of the “famous five” reveals that George R.R. Martin has only revealed to his trusted few?

So there you have it avid GoT fans, what do you all think is going to happen? How will Jon Snow react to his possible Targaryen-ness? Is Sansa Stark going to cause a problem for Jon Snow’s newfound lordship? What is to become of Bran Stark and Arya Stark, now that they are all back in Westeros? Will Cersei Lannister fall victim to Daenerys Targaryen's rebellion or will someone a little closer to home—her twin brother perhaps—be the one to end her suffering? Will the literal Game of Thrones end at the conclusion of next season? If so, who do you want sitting on the Iron Throne? And last but certainly not least, why is no one worried about the white walkers?! Because they're literally on Westeros' doorstep.

Until next season GoT watchers, I bid you adieu, and hope that this coming year is full of conceivable fan theories and full series reruns.