The Future Of American Education Is In Jeopardy, And Government Officials Are To Blame
Life Stages

So many years of repetitive stuff? Is it even worth it?

58

From Pre-K to 12, that's 14 years of continuous learning. Now, I'm not here to complain about the learning aspect of education. I'm here to complain about the system that we are taught in. For starters, teachers need to get paid more. But why? Why do they need to get paid more when all they do is repeat stuff from year to year? It's not their fault that the syllabus is set this way. They get paid less no matter what they do. An average teacher earning 48k to 60k a year has to work two jobs to meet ends. Mind you, these are the same beings that are responsible for our future. In my perspective, that is a big responsibility.

Next, we here in the USA have to go to a four-year college to be eligible for a Master's or MD. In other countries, you skip the 4-year nonsense and go straight into the field you want to go to. Yeah, it takes six years or so but in the USA, an average doctor is 28-30 before he/she starts his/her career. That too with 200k in loans. Oh sure you have the salary now to pay the 200k back without a hiccup, but still, you do all this work to help the country's future and you end up having to pay $200 a month plus interest. How cheap can this system get?

On average, school supplies and residence costs are rising year by year. But the number of scholarships aren't. We keep telling our kids to save money and go to a school where you might not have to pay back a huge amount but colleges make loans seem like a cookie and coat the vices with a sugar topping of installments and low-interest rates. The best one yet is "Low interest is No Interest." More and more students get sucked into the black hole of loans.

Over my time as a student, I have talked to so many friends who either dropped out or decided to go to a community college because they couldn't afford it. Not necessarily because of their scores, but because of issues finding scholarships and grants.

Now, in 2018, almost 1.5 trillion dollars in debt, students are looking into vocational school or technical jobs before they even think about college. Or some don't even think about it because they simply can't afford it.

It also doesn't help to have to pay for textbooks that cost $300 every semester and then having to teach yourself from it. I mean you pay 30k to an institution for a quality and understandable education but then they can't even provide you with credible or good professors.

To sum it up, if anything, we need an education reform and to have our government look out for students. I understand pell grants and all but the average cost of a college is 30k. Add in personal expenses and all and 45k is the set price for an average year.

We as the next generation of the working class need to help our future generations with this epidemic. After all, our future will depend on the future generation one day.