A Letter To My Future Daughter

A Letter To My Future Daughter

You are worthy of everything good in this world.

54
A Letter To My Future Daughter
Stephen Morris

Future Daughter,

There are so many things that I want to tell you, so many things I wish to share with you. Many of these things you're going to live through and learn from your own experiences, and other things I hope you will be spared.

The first thing I want you to know is that you are strong and you can accomplish anything you put your mind to. Trust me, you will question your strength more than you question anything else in this world. There will be times that you think you can't push through, but trust me you can, you just have to believe in yourself. You will also want to give up, but if you do, you will face so much more regret.

I want you to love without holding back. Open up your heart and love with everything you have. Just make sure he's worth it; you'll know in your heart if he is. But you will be wrong. I pray to God you aren't, but you will be. That's how you'll learn, though. Just promise me that when you have your first heartbreak you won't give up on love. It'll feel like the world is crashing down on you and you're not sure if your body and spirit can withstand the weight, but you can because you're strong. And I promise that I'll be here to help lift some of that weight off your shoulders just like my mom did because that's what mothers are for.

I want you to love yourself as fiercely as you'd love someone else. Treat yourself with respect and hold your head high because there is no one better than you. You are you and that's the greatest thing you can be. You will look in the magazines and wish that you looked like the models you see; you'll watch your favorite reality shows and wish you had a life like the stars you see; and you'll see other girls in school and watch them in envy because you're not up to date on all the latest fashion trends. But you're not them and that's a great thing because you're you. I hope you know that even though you may not have something you see in other girls, you have something else that they want. You're original and if there's anything that I can teach you, it's to love yourself. Even after all the heartbreak and let-downs, you'll always find the same person looking back at you in the mirror at the end of the day: you. Just make sure it's someone you're proud of.

You can do anything a boy can do. I'm fully aware of the limitations society will put on you and these limitations will eventually become engraved in your mind. But try not to listen to them. You will be laughed at and you will be given funny looks when you say, "I can do anything that he can do." But don't let that stop you. You'll never be as physically strong, but your mentality and your willpower will put them to shame. If you want to become a doctor, do it. If you want to become a policewoman, do it. If you want to become a firefighter, do it. If you want to become an astrophysicist, do it. The only thing that should discourage you from doing anything in this world is you. Not anyone else. I'll support you no matter what and I'll always be your biggest fan.

I want you to never take anything for granted and be grateful for everything you have. It could be gone in a second. I hope you never have to know what that feels like and you can live a full and happy life, but you never realize what you have until it's gone. Hold the ones you love the closest.

I want you to express your emotions freely and without hesitation. Cry when you want to cry; don't hold back. Laugh when you want to laugh and never be ashamed. Please say everything you're feeling without feeling guilty. You deserve to be heard and to say what you're feeling. Don't ever let anyone tell you you're too sensitive or emotional because that just means that you aren't afraid to express how you're feeling. The worst feeling is knowing you should have spoken your mind and you didn't. But don't forget to listen too. Speak your mind, listen with your heart.

Be kind and humble. You never know what somewhat else is going through so try to be sympathetic. Never brag about your accomplishments. Be proud of them, but never let your pride get the best of you. You're better than that. You can speak your mind and still be kind. Help those in need and always give back. Don't kick those that are already down and always give a helping hand. Your small gesture could mean the world to someone else.

I want you to be independent and confident. It's my job to teach that to you and I promise I will. But even when I'm not around, hold your head high and be confident that you can always rely on yourself. The only person you'll have in this world is you. When you fall in love, fall in love completely, but don't lose yourself. When you find your other half in a best friend, stay you. You matter and you hold more value than you think. Believe in yourself when you feel like you can't and always go higher than you think you can.

Put yourself first. If you're anything like me, this may be the hardest thing you have to do. No one deserves to any more than you do. If you don't do this, you'll be left feeling drained and empty. The sad truth is that even though you may be willing to give your heart and soul into someone, not everyone is willing to do the same. It's an incredible thing to be unselfish and put yourself last, but please don't expect anything in return or you'll be left feeling disappointed. I hate to sound pessimistic, but this world can sometimes be cruel.

There are so many more things I want to teach you and help you learn. These are the most important. Just remember that you are enough and you are worthy of everything good in this world.