5 Fun Outings For A Nice Jewish Girl In The City

Kosher Fun for a Kosher Girl

62
huffingtonpost.com

For the first night in a long time, you don't have homework. Your friends are going out to party, drink, and frolic with the opposite sex - but for you, that's not an option.

So what's a nice Jewish girl to do?

Here are some ways my roommate and I have discovered to have fun in NYC without abandoning our nice-Jewish-girl values.

1. Go to Stern. We have done this at least three times in the last semester. Ever wonder what happened to the childhood friend you haven't seen since kindergarten or your friend's friend's cousin who you met that one time on Ben Yehuda? Ever wanted to experience the most crowded and longest elevator ride in your life? Stern offers both of these fun opportunities, as well as the chance to catch up with old friends from seminary and high school. Just call ahead of time to make sure your Stern friends don't have too much work and enjoy.

2. See the Christian Sights. As a nice Jewish girl, you have probably never seen a real-life honest-to-goodness Christmas tree before. Go to Rockefeller Center to see the biggest one around. You will be surprised to find yourself surrounded by fellow Jews, all craning to see that majestic pine tree decked out in twinkling lights. Why is it there, and what does it have to do with Jesus? You - and the Charedi couple standing next to you - will never know.

3. See the Other Sights. We've been to Times Square, Chelsea Market, and Brooklyn Bridge so far. New York is beautiful at night.

4. Crash the Party without Crashing the Party - AKA The Great Grape Adventure. This one has several steps, and is based on a true story:

First, grab a friend and wander around the shops near your college looking for something interesting to do.

Next, find an organic fruit and vegetable store.

Then, buy some overpriced grapes.

Finally -- and this is the fun part -- take said grapes and walk to a bench situated directly under the party dorm at your school.

You and your friend should enjoy munching on the grapes - your very own undistilled wine - to the sound of the thumping music and throbbing lights of the party pouring out the dorm window. Savor the starlight and cold, grape-flavored air and talk about anything and everything as you watch drunken girls stumble out of the building. Wonder if the people at the party are actually having a better time than you; conclude that they're probably not.

5. Try to Find a Good Kosher Ice Cream Shop Nearby. The search may take all night, but the sweet chocolatey reward is 100% worth it.

From the first semester of college, this is what I've got. I AM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS. Please tell me your favorite Kosher night-time activities in the City!