A Full Time Student With A Full Time Job

And All The Struggles It Entails
10238

Some people say college is hard. They aren't lying. But how many people have told you college is hard because they also work a full time job? All throughout my college career, I have worked and maintained a full time job. Yes, it has pushed me back a little trying to schedule classes around work, life happens and I've had to withdraw or stay out a semester. I've changed my major multiple times because either I decide I don't want to do that for the rest of my life, or I won't be able to finish before I run out of financial aid money. What I'm saying is, you CAN do it. Yes it is stressful. But when your only option to make it through life is working full time while going to college to live a better future later, its worth it. Some people say "well why don't you just cut your hours back at work?" Its not that easy when you have bills to pay. Many students have had the privilege of just going to school and not having to work, could go to any college they want because they don't have to worry about working, or losing their job and just find a part time job on campus where they are going to school.

My Experience

Like i said above, my entire college career I have had to work a full time job while attending college. Whether I was part time working full time hours that are flexible around school, working full time with set hours around school. It's tough to schedule work and school around each other and still make time to study. I myself have had a difficult time with it. Living on my own since i was 18, not having parents around, (I have family just not my parents) working full time to pay my own bills such as rent, phone and power, etc. Trying to keep up with work, doctor appointments, classes, homework and exams can be stressful. But in the end when you finally graduate and get that degree, it'll all be worth it.

Your Health is More Important

No matter how much stress you're under, your health comes first. Most employers and professors will understand. You have to take care of yourself in order to succeed. College student are under so much stress during their time at school. It's honestly a little ridiculous how much stress people ages 18-25 go through while taking classes.

Know your priorities

Priorities are different for a lot of people. Depending on their situation it could be backwards from yours. My priorities are:

-School

-Health- I work in a hospital

-Work

-Family

-Avon

-Free time

You Will Have to Make Sacrifices

You may begin to feel like you have no social life. You may begin to feel like you don't have time for anything except school and work. But the truth is you do. Take a break and plan a walk in the park or lunch with a friend after working on homework or studying for a test for hours. If your having to work full time while in school you may have to give up your weekends to work, which is a sacrifice you will have to make if you want to graduate.

Just Think!?

Its only for a semester. If you have to work every weekend, give up something you love to pass the semester, it will be OK. It's only for a semester. A semester is exactly 4 months then you have what ever summer term you may take. You can do it for 4 months.

Pursuing your dreams is living a few years of your life that most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't.

"I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work”
— Thomas Edison,
Inventor and Scientist