What If We Were All Blind

What If We Were All Blind

The outward appearance doesn't matter

264
What If We Were All Blind

What if we were all blind? Sure, we’d miss out on the beautiful scenery, the magnificent sunsets, and the amazing creations in which we’ve all been blessed with. Not to mention, I am sure we would all run into each other a time or two. But what would we gain? A whole new perspective on life. Finally, we’d live a life without judging one's outward appearance and labeling the person right next to us. We would experience the pure joy of getting to know someone for who they are and not what they look like, what they wear, or the color of their skin.

I can’t help but think of this question with all the recent violence and resurfacing discrimination. Dare I say it, but we would find out the truth of why a cop shot that individual. Was it because of race, or simply because he felt he was doing his or her duty of protecting us? The media rushes to use the race card in all situations, only feeding fuel to the fire without addressing the situation. So what if we were all blind? We would actually know if it truly had to do with discrimination, or if it was an act to save another individual. Deep-rooted issues would be uncovered through understanding one's heart and not pulling the trigger too soon.

Not only have cops been the focus in the media lately, but so has legalizing gay marriage. Both of these situations cause the same question to resurface. For once, if we were blind we'd have to give that gay couple next to us a chance, because we'd have no clue what their sexual preference is, for we couldn’t see. Together we'd get to know one another from the inside out. Would it kill us to actually have to sit down and have a real conversation to find out who someone truly is versus throwing out hateful labels without even knowing him or her? Being blinded by outward appearance and outward assumptions would be the answer to a number of hate crimes. For once we would look at the heart and the soul of an individual.

Everyday we hear a countless number of negative labels and hateful words and spread the news about disgusting crimes. Sadly, it's all contagious in a negative way. What if positivity ruled the media and our daily actions? How many times do you label or judge the hundreds of people you pass by daily? Why do we focus so much on outward appearance, when that’s what we can fake the most? We all can put on a pound of makeup and look like someone we aren’t. We can buy clothes we really can’t afford so we can fit in. But our heart tells a different story. Who is going to give us that chance? What ever happened to don’t judge a book by its cover? Why does race matter? Who cares what he or she is wearing? We all tell a different story, don’t we? Why does every evil act have to be paired with a racist agenda? So back to the question… what if we were all blind?

We would see no color. We would see no harm in others. We would know people for who they are not what they look like. We would love someone for their heart and not their looks. There would be no such thing as discrimination. No one would be denied access because of his or her outward appearance. The media would have to stop feeding us information that puts blacks against whites. There would be no comments regarding race, gender, sexual preference, or ethnicity. The facts would be the facts, the guilty will be found guilty. No matter how pretty, no matter what color, no matter what gender, justice would always be served.

Every day prepare yourself to look at someone from the inside out. Remove your judgmental views, your hardened heart, and your negative thoughts and gave everyone an equal chance. After all, you'd want that, wouldn't you? Understand who they are first, not what they look like or what they can do for you. A simple act of lowering yourself off your high horse and leveling out with the individual next to you could be the change for the future. Be blind to outward appearances, for everyone has his or her own unique story. Who will you get to know today?