From The Lumberjack Games To Rodeo

From The Lumberjack Games To Rodeo

RAs take a stand and change competition for the girls.

32
From The Lumberjack Games To Rodeo
Bella Haeusel

Lumberjack Games are a staple at Corban University. From almost the first day that freshman come, they hear about lumberjack games. The Lumberjack Games are most known among the resident halls called Baylo and Davidson. From the beginning of each school year, RA’s begin to come up with clever names for the boys in their hall. Each boy hall has a sister hall, and that sister hall makes signs for the brother hall. Each girl is assigned a lumberjack and the sign making begins. The signs are so clever and creative that the lumberjacks usually keep their signs after the competition. From my point of view, I think it helps all the B.a.D (Balyo and Davidson) halls create a strong community early on in the school year, which progresses even more into the year.

So what exactly happens during the Lumberjack Games? Craziness. Complete craziness.

Every guy competes in one to two different activities. Some of the favorites are mud wrestling, wall climb and tug of war. Each activity is exhausting but all the lumberjacks try all their best.

So that was a little background; here’s the rest of the whole story.

Girls have their own battles. Ours was known as the B.a.D Battles, but they were sort of lame and everyone forgot about them or didn’t want to compete in them. So this year, the RA’s took a stand and decided this was going to be the year that they were to change B.a.D Battles. So they did and let me tell you, B.a.D battles for the girls was epic.

B.a.D Rodeo was some serious fun.

Just like the guys, each girls hall were given activities that they were to compete in. They had the wall (but we had hale bales because we are shorter) and we had tug of war (which was super painful) and we had a milk jug flip.

Each team had a theme so that it would separate them from the other teams. Our team went all out!

Team DTown Northside came to represent. We all wore black shirts with a flannel and hats. We then took it a step further and we had painted black hands prints onto our faces all in the exact same spot. We then walked out unison. Another girl and I had an American flag and a Don’t Tread On Me flag to show everyone that they couldn’t mess with us.

We cheered so hard. We screamed at the top of our lungs to support each member of our crew. We went from very last place to third place which we were all pretty stoked about because we were the underdogs.

All in all, thank you to all the leaders who pushed for us girls to have a competition that us girls can feel passionate about. I am so so so excited for next year just knowing that I have another year to grow and improve on all my “Rodeo” skills.