Friendships Are More Important Than Relationships Right Now

When you're in your twenties, you need friends to lean on.
18

Obviously, relationships are great and important and necessary. But when you are young and just discovering the world and just discovering yourself, it's so much more important to have friends above anything else. Late teens/early twenties are a very crazy, confusing and emotional time of life, and you'll definitely need a reliable group of pals to help each other get through it.

1. The fights are a lot less dramatic.

Unless you're arguing over a really big problem, fights usually end pretty quickly between friends. Either someone apologizes, or you both realize how dumb you were being. You rarely ever see someone at a party crying because they got into a fight with their friend.

2. There are less expectations.

You still have someone to grab dinner with or someone to stay in on a Friday night and binge-watch Netflix with. You still have a person, but this person doesn't expect you to never go out without them, this person won't get mad at you for forgetting to text back and this person won't get mad if you have other friends.

3. They know you better than you know yourself.

They know what kind of shampoo you use, what lipstick shade looks good on you, whether or not you're actually over your ex, your entire relationship history and your usual brunch order.

4. The more the merrier.

When you're in a relationship, you can only have one boyfriend/girlfriend, but when you have best friends, you can have as many as you want! It's great to have a variety of people to hang out with and connect with.

5. You can be imperfect.

I'm not saying you can't be imperfect with your significant other, but it's a lot easier to be imperfect around your friends. They'll witness all your disgusting, crazy and all around bad habits and will still love you just as much.

6. They're honest.

Whereas boyfriends/girlfriends will usually be nice about something, friends will give you the truth. They will tell you if you look bad in an outfit, they will tell you if the photo of you isn't flattering, they will tell you to go to the library to study for that test and they will tell you when you make a bad decision.

7. They're reliable.

As I said before, some of us are lucky enough to meet our person early, but for the most part, we will have to spend some time dating people to find the right one. Relationships come and go, but friendships last a very long time. They are the ones who will help pick up the pieces of any relationships. You will never have to worry about whether or not there is a future with them.

8. They show you what love is.

It's easy to fall in love with the wrong person before you know what it means to be loved. Friends teach you what you deserve, and they will always give it to you. Your friends will show you so much love, you will never want to settle for less after that.