Friendships Don't Need Letters To Be Legit

4

The best thing about being in a sorority is that you have so many sisters that you don’t need to talk to anyone else. You don’t need to make friends in your classes or at work. You don’t need to meet people in your hall, or in the BLUU, or in the library. It’s just a hassle you don’t have to worry about.

Right? Wrong.
Yes, it’s great to have sisters who can double as best friends, roommates, classmates, study buddies, and lunch dates. But you know what’s even better? Having sisters AND other friends to do things with.
I’m one of those people that calls lots of people my “best friend.” My older sister Becca is my best friend, my mom is my best friend, my platonic guy friend Tom is my best friend, and my sorority sister Maggie is my best friend. But I have this one best friend, and she’s pretty much the real deal.

I met Kelsey the summer after 8th grade at Camp Arcadia, a Christian camp where we spent a week before high school. We were in the same small group and immediately hit it off. We lived about 45 minutes apart, so our moms drove us back and forth to see each other, and we sent each other about a million emails a day (Example email: Dear Kelsey, high school is scary. But I met a boy, and I think we’re in love. Love, Abby.). Right before junior year of high school, Kelsey’s family moved to Wisconsin. Needless to say, I was devastated. Just kidding, it wasn’t much farther of a drive. We still kept in great touch, making frequent phone calls and the occasional trip out to see each other.

Plot twist! Kelsey and I both committed to TCU during our senior year of high school, and we made lots of plans. Maybe freshman roommates? Maybe sorority sisters? Maybe we would have the same major? Maybe our boyfriends would be brothers!?!?!? Our plan didn’t turn out at all how we expected it to, but I still wouldn’t change a thing about it.

Kelsey and I ended up pledging different sororities, and I’ve said for the last year and a half that a piece of my heart is in Gamma Phi Beta. As much as I love and adore my sisters, there’s something to be said about a girl who has been your best friend since the awkward days of 8th grade.

The fact that Kelsey and I are in different sororities does not detract from our friendship. I actually think it makes it more special. Instead of seeing each other at chapter meetings or other events, we have to make time outside of our busy lives to see each other. The fact that we don’t have our sorority in common forces us to talk about all kinds of other things, whether that be classes, boys, our families, or pizza. Just because we aren’t sisters doesn’t mean we can’t be best friends.

I feel this way about lots of my friends. My friend Autumn from high school is a Kappa, my Frog Camp buddy Caroline is a Sigma Kappa, and one of my sweet roommates is a Theta. I have learned so much in such different ways from these girls, and they all bring something different to the table. If I hadn’t branched out of my sorority, I never would have been able to have friendships with these great girls.

So that’s my challenge: I urge all of you to reach out of the comfort zone of the circle of your sisters. Make some fellow Panhellenic friends, or maybe even some that aren’t Greek at all. Friendships don’t need letters to be legit. But if they do, I guess that’s cool too.