Why Friendship Is Essential

Why Friendship Is Essential

We are called to love others just as we love ourselves.

112
Why Friendship Is Essential
Laura Pepper

As Christians, we are not called to merely sit back and be apathetic towards the world around us. We are called to love others just as we love ourselves. This commandment is not merely a suggestion, but it is a calling for our entire lives.

Learning to love isn't always easy. It does take a great deal of effort, but it produces the most rewarding relationships. To truly love people and have deep, meaningful relationships, we have to be willing to be vulnerable and invest in the lives of others. Someone cannot truly be able to love you fully if they only know your highlight reel in life. If people only see our lives from a gated perspective where our true self is enclosed within a wall where no one can come inside, then they cannot see the real you.

Breaking down this wall does not have to be with every person you meet, but it is essential to building deep friendships with people. Keeping ourselves completely built up with walls so high no one could ever penetrate will only lead to isolation and the feeling of loneliness. From there, our walls could only get higher.

It is essential to allow people to come in behind your walls and know the true you. The people who invest enough time in your life to truly know you are the ones who are willing to stick it out through the long haul with you, and it is okay to be vulnerable sometimes.

It is also important that we make sure to invest in people just like people have invested in ourselves. Part of filling God's commandment of loving others as ourselves involves making time to be a part of lives of others. Friendships are a two-way street, and if we are not taking part in building relationships, it will be much more difficult for that friendship to have any depth or growth.

The Lord calls us to have deep relationships with others to help us ultimately deepen our relationship with Him. Doing life with people is one of the greatest joys in life, and I know in my personal life, the deep friendships that I have help me in my walk with Christ and in my growth of learning what it means to love others deeply.

The girls that have come into my life have really spoken life into me, and it is so reassuring to know that I do not have to battle anything alone and they won't either. When you understand not only someone's strengths, but also their weaknesses, there is a bond developed that can create lasting friendships.

Recently, I have had to lean on my friends for comfort as I have been battling a physical health issue. These girls that I have in my life continually tell me that they love me, are there for me and are praying for me. Knowing those sweet words brings such peace in my heart, and it has brought joy through the hardship knowing that I can lean on friends for comfort.

Relationships are essential for living a full and meaningful life, and it's up to you to decide how you will develop friendships with the people around you.