Friendship Effort Should Always Be Equal

If you are trying harder than your friend, you may be in a toxic situation and should rethink it.

11

We all have friends right? Well most of us at least. Sometimes, we may feel that we care more than our friends do, or even feel like we are always the ones putting in effort to hangout or simply talk on the phone. No one is perfect, people can't be there 24/7 with every single need you have. However, we should pay attention to how much we do for others versus how much they do for us. Not because we are looking to get something back, but to avoid toxic, one-sided interactions.

There have been a few times in my life where I had to face the hard truth of this matter. During my high school years, I loved to cater to people, making sure everyone was always happy. In some cases, I really didn't receive the same treatment in return. I was fine with that though... at the time. When I finally reached and completed my first year of college, I realized this wasn't necessarily a healthy thing for me. Sure, it's cool to be nice, and giving. But... at what price? Especially if no one bothers to ask how my day was, or initiate a simple hangout. At that point, I stopped using so much of my time worrying about others when they were not doing the same for me.

I'm aware that I'm walking a fine line between letting go of recognizing a one-sided situation and being that person who ALWAYS expects something in return. Think of it this way, some things you should do because you WANT to do it, not because you expect a favor. BUT, if you notice that it is always like this between you and your "friend", please, speak up about it. There is nothing wrong with expecting someone to give you the same treatment you effortlessly give out. Don't be an ass hole, don't be that person who only does favors because you expect to get something out of it. Instead, though, be aware of toxic traits from individuals that could harm you in the long run. Be caring, be nice, be patient; but don't be all these things plus more to someone before being them to yourself first.