An Open Letter To Each Friend Constantly Rooting For Me

10 Thank You's To All The Friends Constantly Rooting For Me

An open letter dedicated to each and every person in my life who is always, unwaveringly, rooting for me.

2479
Shamin Jamadar

During my years as an undergraduate, I have been blessed to have found and surround myself with the most amazing, kind, genuine, and loyal human beings.

These are the individuals that empower me with their encouraging words, inspire me with their dedication to make me the best me possible, and surprise me with their constant support. Every. Single. Day.

Without these people, each and every single one of them, I never would have become the person I am today. You have all brought upon a part of me that even I did not know existed.

This is an open letter dedicated to, thanking, each and every person in my life who has always, unwaveringly rooted for me these past three years.

1. Thank you for reminding me that one bad exam, one bad paper, or one bad class does not define me. 

Not a single one of you would let me throw a pity party, because you all knew I could push myself to do better the next time. Thank you for encouraging me to always prove that exam, paper or professor wrong.

2. Thank you for calling me out when I started to give up. 

Each time I was tempted to give up, you reminded me that I won't give up, that I can't give up, because giving up is not who I am.

3. Thank you for answering each and every one of my calls.

Even when you had a rough day, you would answer my phone calls and patiently listen as I ranted and raved about how overwhelmed, overcommitted, and overzealous I was. And every time, you would remind me to take a breath and recall how important everything I had committed to was to me.

4. Thank you for hugging me instead of telling me "I told you so."

When I came home or met you somewhere to study, exhausted and complaining about how I shouldn't have taken that extra shift at work, you always gave me a hug, even if it was with a stink eye. Even when you definitely did tell me so.

5. Thank you for getting up at the, actual, crack of dawn to help me study.

Every time I had a Physics exam, you would get up, hours before you had class, just to help me study. But I know you really did it because you knew I needed you to calm my nerves and boost my morale.

6. Thank you for telling me to go to bed.

Those days I had been running myself ragged studying for my exam, it was you that pushed me to rest and take a step back, reminding me that humans, myself included, needed sleep to function productively.

7. Thank you for every text of encouragement.

Even when I was the queen of no responses, you all constantly would wish me luck on my exam, paper, interview, or just luck to get through Monday. I may not have always said it, but it is what truly got me through.

8. Thank you for pushing me.

I am a creature of habit and comfort, if I could stay in my bubble forever, I would. Thank you for manhandling me out of it. You empowered me to take uncomfortable, novel opportunities. Never would I have applied myself in so many various activities and organizations had I not had the not-so-gentle push.

9. Thank you for bragging about me.

More than I have ever spoken of my accomplishments, you all have praised every one of my highs. Anytime I have downplayed my achievements, you have popped-in to bring the other person up-to-speed with anything even slightly noteworthy I am doing.

10. Thank you for always being there.

Each event, each showcase, each volunteer opportunity, each birthday, if you had the capability, you were there. Whether this was FaceTiming in, sending me a letter, sending me a text, asking someone to deliver something to me on a special day, you were there and you were always so proud.

11. Thank you for believing in me when I stopped believing in myself.

There were so many times I stopped believing in myself. I stopped believing in my abilities, occasionally even if anything I was doing was worth a cent, but each time you shook me out of my slump and reminded me of everything I had accomplished and everything you just knew I would. You picked me up before I could even fall down.

12. Thank you for being my people.

It takes a village of the most driven, kind, persistent and loyal individuals to refine a headstrong, impatient female with big goals. But hey, you all did it.

Each and every one of you is "my person." You each highlight a different part of me. Some of you make me bolder, some of you make me goofier, but each of you has made me better. Thank you for being my village.

I have many things to be grateful for, but a support system like the one I have takes spot number one.

The things I have said barely scratch the surface of my gratitude to have you all in my life. Whether you were a bedroom away, a few states away, or a whole country away, you all have supported me in all my endeavors. You have all refined, redefined, and reminded me of all that I am, and all that I can be- all that I should be. I aspire to be the best me, simply because of all your faith in me.

I am assured that with each step I take, you all will be on the sidelines cheering me on- regardless of the miles that may come between us.

You are all wonders of this world, of my world. Thank you.