A Letter To An Old Friend

A Letter To An Old Friend

Friends come and go.

18
A Letter To An Old Friend
Girl Like The Sea

If you are reading this you will know who you are.

We've grown so far apart over just the last few years. Our friendship has never been consistent, but I am afraid that this won't ever go back to the way it used to be.

We grew up together. Some of my earliest memories involve you. I remember before I moved, I used to wait for you to come home from school. You were older than me and I hadn't started school yet. I have memories of sleepovers and playing make believe. I moved though and things changed.

While we were still young things didn't seem so strange. You visited my new home a couple times, and my family used to see yours when we would go down to visit. As time went by things changed. I didn't see you as a friend anymore, but more so just someone from the past.

One day, at a reunion of sorts- you were there. I thought to myself, "Wow it has been forever since I have seen you". We started talking again and it was like nothing had changed. I was excited, happy, that you were there. Trust me, you made that day for me. I probably would have been so bored if you hadn't been there. That day ended though and we went our separate ways. It was a whole year before I saw you again at your graduation party. We spoke, it didn't feel the same as at our last meeting, but it was nice to see you.

When I was 16 we really started talking again and before I knew it I was calling you my friend once more. We talked almost every day. I was in high school and you were working. You had moved and you weren't having the best time where you were. I started to really miss you and you talked about coming home. I wanted more than anything for you to come home, but you didn't. Instead, you found yourself a distraction. It was a good one too because soon you forgot about me and moved on with your life. It hurt. It hurt a lot. We had become so close and in no time we were back to where we were before. I felt like you were someone from the past again, not a friend.

About a year later you contacted me. Seriously? Your distraction was done and you were ready to be friends again. I wasn't. I was angry and I let you know it, but you guilt tripped me and I fell for it. You were back. We talked. We shared things with each other again, and once more you were back in my life. It was nice to have you back and you promised me that would never happen again. As time went on, though, you found yourself a girl. At first, you kept your promise, but slowly we drifted apart again.

I want you to know, that this time I am not mad. Not like I was before. I miss being friends. I miss our conversations and our Magic games over Skype being nerds, but I know you are happy now. I've learned that sometimes you can't keep old friends close. Sometimes your lives just bring you in different directions and no matter how far your memories go back, that doesn't mean you will keep making them in the future. I hope that this girl makes you very happy. I want you to know that even if you do not talk to me like we used to, I will still be here if you ever need me. I say this letter is to an old friend, but I really wrote it for me to remind me that it's okay that we have moved on.