What My Freshmen Year Of College Has Taught Me

Farewell caf plan and long walks to the laundry room.

23
College Candy - Gossip Girl

Goodbye, freshman year. As the semester comes to a close, I'm beginning to reflect on what my freshman year has taught me (and probably every other college student). When I look back on my pre-college days, I can't help but wonder how I lived without the people I have met this year; or how I survived having six classes a day... for seven hours.

It seems completely unreal to me that I have already gone through an entire year of college. It feels like just yesterday I was only applying to schools. This year has been one of the best of my life, and I will never forget it or the lessons it has taught me.

Be yourself, always.

In college, we all dream about meeting our "people" and best friends for life. To meet the ones for you, believe it or not, you need to be your complete self. Trying to adjust to someone else's personality won't do anything to make you happy. Basically, why would you want to be friends with people who don't like the real you? Am I right or am I right.

Get involved.

Your first few weeks may be a little crazy, and that's okay. But try and put yourself out there. There are so many different things you can do on a college campus that can enhance your experience. There are clubs, greek life, sports, activities, and many other things that you can be a part of. I promise you, you'll be so much happier when you find friends who love to do the same things as you.

Don't let anyone tell you what to do.

In high school, we may have been used to our parents telling us what to do, but in college, it's all about you. This is the time of our lives where we are supposed to find and be ourselves, how can you do that if you are following what others tell you instead of yourself? The only way that you can grow as an individual is to be exactly that, individual. There's going to be many times where you feel pressured or feel the need to follow what others do, and I am telling you now, do what you want to do.

Don't stress too much.

Freshmen year has taught me that stress is bound to happen, and you need to learn how to manage it. There have been so many nights where I was up until 3 AM, worrying about the assignments that I had due, or about the mistakes I have made throughout the semester. Stressing about it never got me anywhere. Try to find an outlet for your stress, whether it be hanging with friends, working out, or just binge-watching Netflix shows (my favorite thing to do of course). At some point, you might feel like the world is coming to an end, but don't worry, I promise you it isn't, there are worse things in life.

It's okay if you don't find "the one."

I'm pretty sure all of us have imagined going to college and finding our future husbands when we got there. My daydream went something like this: I am studying at the coffee shop on campus, I walk up to grab my coffee and bump into the man of my dreams (I know pretty cliché huh?). Most of the time it doesn't work out that easily, sadly.

Throughout this entire year, I have liked so many different boys. I would start talking to them and try to look for traits that would be "boyfriend material," and the more I looked for it, the more I failed. I have come to the realization that I am not going to find that right now, and that's okay. Being a freshman, we are all only eighteen and nineteen years old... So why rush something when we are so young? This year has taught me that it's okay to be single and happy. Also, stop looking so hard for the one, because they will come around when the time comes.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Being in college, we can get very busy. I am definitely guilty of not calling my parents for a long time, but I've quickly learned that at the end of the day they will be there for you no matter what. In high school, being around them every second makes it so normal, and almost annoying when they are always telling you what to do. Though, when you come to college, you realize just how much you miss them. I remember being so excited to see them the first time that I came home, hugging them and just being so content. Being away from them actually does make you appreciate them much more than you would think. So make sure to call them often, they only want what's best for you.

Freshman year teaches you so many valuable lessons that will stay with you for life. This year has been one of the craziest and most fun years of my life, and I can't wait for what is in store for the next three years.