Freshmen Have Opportunity To Start Anew

Freshmen Have Opportunity To Start Anew

I realized I am starting off fresh again.

2
Freshmen Have Opportunity To Start Anew
Megan Jo Koons

As I start my college adventure, I realized I was not going to know every single individual at campus. I realized I am starting off fresh again, as I had in kindergarten when I started my grade school adventure. I have another chance to start anew, a chance to be myself and not the shy, quiet, nice girl everyone knew me to be.

When I started the grade school experience, I felt anxious meeting people and talking, afraid I was going to say something wrong or something that might offend someone. So I did not speak much around others, not making many close friends in grade school. As I progressed to middle school and high school, I communicated more with my new teammates on the swim team and a small group of friends. Turned out, my teammates got close and we could tell each other everything, while the small group of friends was still my friends until we graduated from high school.

As I started my classes this week, I spoke up and participated a bit. I introduced myself more and relaxed before each class started. I am going to push myself to say more, to participate more, to speak with my teachers more, to meet people, to talk to people I do not know, and to be myself, most of all. I have been in classes at least one time and I am confident in making new memories while making new connections, something I was too afraid to do in regular school.

I can be myself around my new classmates, because we are all in the same boat. We are all starting anew, we are starting at a different school, with hardly anyone to share the college experience with. That makes us connect faster. I noticed when we did things as a small group or altogether, people would start the conversation by asking who are they from. And that would get a simple conversation going. I realized there are people out there who will greet others and introduce themselves first. A simple introduction can go a long way and be the first to introduce yourself. I can finally make lots of friends I never had in high school.

I can show everyone I am spunky, kind, generous, funny, and be a true friend. I can have more friends to talk to, to sit with at lunch, to hang out outside the classroom, and to have study groups I never had. I am going to not only make the exceptional grades, but I am going to get to know my professors very well. I am going to speak up when needed or if I want to. I am going to promise myself to do so responsibly and I am going to take care of myself. I am going to ask questions when I do not know or understand something. I will get everything completed and I will have nothing but the best from Hanover College to help me move forward as I progress in life.