Virginia Tech Freshman Year Survival Guide

15 Totally Hokie Dos And Don'ts For Your Freshman Year At Virginia Tech

Stick to these 15 things during your Freshman year and you'll be good to go.

242
Hannah King

I learned a lot my freshman year and when I was thinking back about certain things that I could have done better or shouldn't have done at all, these 15 things came to mind. So, check them out and be sure to remember them when your first week of classes hits.

Oh, and if you're an incoming VT freshman, welcome Home.

Do go to your first class

Yes, you'll hear the daydreams of syllabus week but don't be that stupid freshman who thinks they can skip out on the first day of class. The professor will notice and you'll be doomed the rest of the school year.

Don't be afraid to skip a class

There comes a time that being overwhelmed is an understatement. Of course, I'm talking about finals week. So, if you need that extra time to study for another class that you are borderline managing a C-, then do it. Or if you just need the extra sleep, just do it.

Do hit up the gym

So, VT is really good about holding free fitness class weeks where you can try out a new class for free HIT THAT SHI UP! You might love it or you might hate it, either way, you're getting a study break and putting that college tuition to use.

Don't be afraid of Newman

So, Newman is the library and it can be pretty intimidating. I've gotten lost loads of times and if you're not careful, you can end up in Torg in a few seconds. But! Don't let that scare you off because it's a great place and it has so many resources!

Do find your study niche within the first month

Your thinking, "Well, that's what the library is for, right?" Sure, if you're that person and you can study in a setting where everyone is dying a slow and painful death, by all means, go for it. But if you are anything like me, you're going to want to find your own empty classroom or lecture hall to sit down with your books.

Heads Up: NCB, McBryde, and Torg are the hot spots

Don't be that girl in those shorts

I know it's hot in August when school starts but there is nothing worse than walking to class and seeing 10 million different butt cheeks. Seriously, you're going to class to learn. You're not going out on the town or over to a guys house for a booty call. Cover the cheeks up and save it for the weekend.

Do go to Gobblerfest

It's not just a freshman thing. Upperclassman will still go and beat you to all the free t-shirts and food. Do we care we already have them? Not. At. All. Besides, Gobblerfest is a great place to sign up for clubs and see what all VT has to offer.

DON'T CROWD TURNER

Yeah, we're glad you guys are the new Hokies and we do love you guys. But seriously, go to Owen's or Hokie Grill where you can get DD and Chick-fil-A. Please just leave us be at Turner's.

Do eat healthy

There are a lot of choices for food. Enjoy the pizza bar at D2 and the sports bar at West End. But don't forget to hit up the salad bar at Hokie Grill or the Smoothie Place at Turner's.

I know I told you not to go to Turner's but go at like a dead hour when no one is there.

Don't be afraid to introduce yourself

This goes for introducing yourself to the guy/girl you sit next to in that 500 person lecture hall and for introducing yourself to your professors.

It never hurts to have a friend in class, especially a huge one like that because let's face it, you're going to miss a class. So, if you make a friend, they will more than likely share their notes and you automatically have a study partner.

Your professors love you, honestly, they do. They might not seem like it during lecture but if you go see them during their office hours and introduce yourself, I promise that they won't seem so scary afterward.

Do go to the first football game

Actually, go to all of the football games. Just do it.

Don't go alone

For tailgating, this is crucial. Wait until you get on Center St. if you must but you'll thank me when you have your BFF with you when you're wading through the crowd of college kids.

Do wear sunscreen

Especially if you are planning on wearing those cute VT stickers on your face because if you don't, you'll be sporting a VT on your face for the next week.

Don't push your limit

Tailgating is supposed to be fun so have fun. But don't go buck crazy and blackout because there's nothing worse than waking up in the middle of someone's backyard and finding out that you not only missed the game but you have no idea where you are.

Do learn the correct chant

It's really not that hard. I'm sure they burned it into your brain at orientation but it's pretty embarrassing when you've had a few bears and all of the sudden you're screaming the wrong college chant.