What I Learned From My Freshman Year

What I Learned From My Freshman Year

Thank you so much for the life lessons (especially with the fruit flies).

17
What I Learned From My Freshman Year
Sean Watson

I'll be completely honest, I definitely did not know what to expect from my first year of college. I was headed to a new city and a new school, both filled to the brim with countless new people and new opportunities. While moving out and moving on has always been a big dream of mine, I don't think I thought about it actually happening until it was actually happening. Even though I did pay attention during lectures on college visits (yes mom, I really did), researched how to survive on my own, read up on tons of articles that explained what you need for classes, study sessions, and found out how to create a super snazzy dorm room, you can never truly know how your first year of college is going to play out; you just have to get in there and experience it all for yourself. College is what you make of it! While I can't say for sure whether your first year is going to be as fabulous as so many people make it seem (or don't make it seem), here are some things that I've learned from my own experiences as a fish in a new pond:

Be friendly and outgoing

There is no better way to meet people than giving out a simple smile and a hello. I decided to make being more outgoing one of my goals this year, and let me tell you, it definitely pays off; not only is this a super easy and fun thing to do, but people will see you as someone who is warm and inviting and will remember that the next time they see you. I'll admit that at first I was terrified that it was going to be difficult to make friends at a new school, especially one where I was the sole Trinity-bound student from my graduating class, but I decided I wasn't going to let that stop me from being open and friendly with every person that I met. There are going to be people that will definitely seem more outgoing than others, but just know that they are scared of being in a new setting too; you're not alone!

Ask questions

As much as your parents may get on your nerves by telling you constantly to ask questions and get information, they're right. This was something that I should have caught onto a long time ago. Not only is this something that professors will take notice of, but it is something that will get those cogs in your brain working just a little faster. Asking questions out loud brings the thoughts that you know are in the back of your mind out in the open where you can truly analyze them, even if they actually are just as ridiculous as you thought they were. Your questions can even bring about thoughts in other's minds as well; this really helps develop critical thinking skills and can help you make connections to other's experiences as well as your own. This isn't just a skill you can use in the classroom though- take it with you wherever you go! People love to tell their stories, and especially love it when people inquire about those stories. This is a great way to learn more about who people are, where they come from, and what they are all about.

Study.

I know, I know, we all got through high school fine without studying hard for our exams. Let me tell you, college is a totally different ball game. School can get rough, and every now and then you're going to feel overwhelmed and overworked, but you can get through it. You definitely should not overwork yourself, but you shouldn't under-work yourself either; professors see the amount of effort you put into your studies genuinely appreciate it when they see students who acknowledge the time and effort their professors put into teaching them. While there are some classes where it is better to study alone, it can be extremely beneficial to have group study sessions. Bouncing your ideas off of others and hearing what other people think can help you see things from a new perspective and give you a much broader sense of your topic (this is great thing to do even when you're writing papers!). Overall, the most important thing to remember about studying in college is to make time for it. You're on your own schedule now! Studying until 4 a.m. before every exam is not a good way to go.

Your freshman roommate is one of a kind.

In my case, both of my roommates were one of kind. Most of the time, all freshmen get randomized as far as rooming situations go, and I had the option of living in a triple room (same size as a regular room, more or less, but shared with three people instead of two). Though it might take some time to get fully adjusted to living with new people, it's a great way to make lasting friends and learn how to live life together-alone-away-from-home for the first time. I can't promise that your first year roommate will be the greatest, because there are definitely some people who don't even want to think about their first roommate, but it is what you make of it. Enjoy your time with them, and really try to get to know them because the days will go by fast. Watch The Office with them, make chai lattes and mug meals with them, and love them for everything they are. Who knows, they might just become some of your best friends!

Always throw fruit into the outside trash can

Fruit flies are the bane of my existence.

Don't miss an opportunity.

There will be so, so many. This is your last time to be a freshman! Now is the time to find out what you're interested in and get involved. Your school will have lots of opportunities to get involved, whether you're into sports, theater, music, science, service, art...the list goes on and on. Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone a little bit either! Do something that you would've never expected from yourself, like taking a ballroom dancing class or learning how to play the ukulele.

All in all, enjoy your year. It will be full of excitement, drama, adventure, new friends, and countless great moments. Find love and joy for every one of your experiences. Take the time to sit back and truly appreciate everything that your school has to offer you, and make your freshman year one for the books!