10 Reasons Why You Should Be A Freshman Frontier Program Peer Counselor

The thrill of being a part of a Marquette University platform for social and academic success.

75
Marquette.edu

Freshman Frontier Program (FFP) initiated as a solely academic platform for students wishing to attend Marquette University despite a deficient GPA. Students could apply for the program and enroll in several credited courses. If the student maintained a grade that reflected Marquette University’s standards, then the individual would receive their acceptance. Throughout the years, FFP evolved into an academic and social program for incoming freshman, from various colleges offered at Marquette, seeking a jumpstart toward their upcoming year. Freshman Frontier Program encourages diversity in an inclusive setting for each of the thirty-seven students hosted this summer. I received the opportunity to mentor and even discipline one of the most respectful and enthusiastic group of incoming freshman. Please enjoy 10 of the most thrilling aspects of working as an FFP Peer Counselor.

1. Spending a half-week completing exhaustive training.

Not even a whole four days could prepare myself for a truly rowdy group of naïve freshman. Nevertheless, I cherished those several moments of peace and sanity.

2. Meeting the students for the first time.

With huge smiles and positive attitudes, I was confident this crowd of freshman would make an exceptional addition to the campus.

3. Teaching the importance of accountability.

As Summerfest and other tempting venues reined in hundreds of senseless individuals for late night partying and other activities, it was rewarding to allow the students make personal decisions while holding themselves accountable.

4. Assisting students with homework and tests.

Ranging from a few minutes to several hours, many nights were dedicated toward helping each student enroll in classes, study for upcoming tests, and correct a multitude of individual papers.

5. Engaging in social activities.

Whether the Milwaukee Boat Cruise or the anticipated Freshman Cup, where students participate in a variety of competitive events, it was truly worthwhile to d establish a lasting bond with each student while balancing the duties of peer and counselor.

6. Enforcing MANDO.

Every week night, students attended a mandatory two-hour session designed for studying and completing any weekly assignments. Despite several nights of prolonged complaining, MANDO was a valuable time for meeting with professors and uncovering personal study habits.

7. Cherishing nights off-duty.

With a round-the-clock schedule, peer counselors are required to remain on campus and available for any student need. Therefore, any free time was spent relaxing off campus and recouping for the next demanding week.

8. Surviving the campus food.

For almost any academic setting, campus food is difficult to tolerate. Even so, with unwavering appetites, any source of energy was greatly appreciated.

9. Encouraging the students about the upcoming year.

After spending five weeks with an incredible group of young adults, it was reassuring to witness the confidence and ambition of each student as they prepared for a unforgettable year of profound memories.

10. Establishing lasting friendships with the entire FFP staff.

Joined with three exceptional FFP counselors, I was able to mentor and effectively communicate with each of the students through the direct support of my FFP leaders and staff.

A huge shoutout to Nichole, AP, Omar, and the rest of the devoted staff. Here's to #FFPSummer16!!