What I Learned My Freshman Year of College

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

52
Temple University

As my freshman year of college comes to a close (after finals of course), I wanted to share the lessons I've learned from one of the best years of my life. I wouldn't give this up for anything and though I didn't have some of the advice below, I wouldn't be where I am today if I did. During this year, I gained friends and lost friends, started new roles, learned lessons from positive and negative experiences, and understood myself more and more every day. The person leaving Temple University now is so much more knowledgeable and prepared than she was nine months ago. Though it's crazy to see how fast life has gone, I cannot wait for my sophomore year.

Thank you, freshman year.

Without further ado, enjoy some serious college lessons* with some not-so-serious gifs to lighten the mood.

*These lessons are seriously serious.

You are your best friend

No one knows you better than yourself. If you know that you're tired/need to study/should go out to relax, than follow that mindset. Additionally, don't let others dictate what you should and shouldn't do. College is a time where you make your own decisions and see where you end up because of them - so honor that!

Do your laundry once a week

Trust me, nothing is more disappointing that an overflowing laundry basket and the utter pity you have for when you realize you have no clothes to wear. Even if you're busy, try to wash at least half of the dirty pile... it will help you so much in the long run. Plus, the more you have to wash the more complicated it gets. Before I wash my clothes, I separate all pants from shirts and sweaters.

Don't go overboard

The most important thing about being successful and having a stable mindset in college is to know what is too much. When I started freshman year, I tried joining everything that I liked and had to do with my major and I really pushed myself over the top. Because of this I spent too much time on extracurriculars and didn't think about my own life (friends, academics, having enough sleep, etc.) Only do as much as you think you can, don't go overboard just for a pristine resume.

A dorm room is not an apartment

Your dorm room only has so much space. Don't bring every knick-knack you own and clothes you don't even wear. Remember that everything you bring to school you have to bring back.

Be active in your building

The best thing you can do for yourself is getting to know people who live on your floor and in your building. Be friendly with RAs and go to some of the programs they host during the week. By doing this, you become more connected to your residence hall and get to have some perks others might not have. Also, it's best to have a group of people to hang out with or walk back from class with! Going to your building's events is the best way to get free food or prizes and meet new people.

Excuses are not valid

The easiest way to procrastinate at school is to give yourself excuses. The "I'll do it later" isn't going to cut it. Whatever you have to do is important and doesn't deserve an excuse that might not help you out in the long run.

Use organization/to-do list apps

Sometimes you can't keep up with planners or written calendars. You say you're going to use it but when life gets busier, you slowly start to forget about it. Because of this, at one point I was really unorganized and was confused about the dates of things that were due. I now use the Todoist app which can be used on your phone, downloaded as an app on your laptop, or an extension on Chrome. It organizes everything in different tabs and really helps me out with all the things I have to do.

Be yourself

It's not worth it to change yourself for others. The whole purpose of college is to be yourself and have the freedom of knowing that you can live on your own by being you. If you ever find that you're changing (negatively or unalike who you truly are) for friends, a significant other, classes, etc., then you shouldn't be involved with them.

Balance your academic and social life

Sometimes you are in a position where you have to decide if you want to go out or stay in in order to study or do work. Academics should always come first since you're paying for it and it's the reason you're at school, but you still shouldn't over work yourself. Find a balance where you can have fun and still do well in classes.

Join clubs that pertain to both your career and your hobbies

A lot of the organizations you can join at college can help prepare you for your major or even make you more desirable from the resume you send! However, you don't have to only join clubs that revolve around your career -- it's always fun to be apart of things that cover your interests. For example, I am a journalism major so I write for a magazine, help out with TUTV (various Temple TV shows), and dabble with freelance reporting; I also am apart of Temple Democrats, on the e-board of the Residence Hall Association and keep up with the geology club because I like those things!

Make connections (don't be shy)

Self-confidence is something that everyone needs in order to be successful. It's hard to pave a path to your career if you don't get out there and get in touch with internships, organizations, or professors/deans. Something that is really impressive to those who are deciding if they want to hire you is confidence and all that you've done in college. In the beginning of freshman year, I was really nervous about reporting and talking to people with higher positions than me. I learned that in order to be the best you can be, you have to rise above your social fears.

Don't be afraid about being homesick

Almost everyone during freshman year thinks: "I'm missing home... does that mean I really don't like it here?" The answer is no. The problem is that shifting from high school to college is a major change and for most people it happens in just three months. You aren't unhappy at school, but crave the life you used to live for years and years. You miss the consistency of high school and your home life! Enjoy the days at home and if you can, visit over the weekend a couple of times.

The amount of friends you have doesn't define you

It's understood that college is another chance to be who you truly are and find a group of friends that are really similar to you. Finding friends isn't as easy as it seems on social media. In college, you can either have a lot of friends or maybe a couple; everyone is different. I learned that the amount of friends you have doesn't matter and it doesn't add anything to your personality or internal thoughts. You can be much happier with a tight knit group of friends than a huge group where it's hard to find common ground. Again, the amount of friends you are shouldn't dictate your life or make you think you are less than you are.

Explore and find something new

You can find yourself being bored over the weekend or when you have free time. Instead of moping around and wishing you had something to do, go do it! I did this so many times this year and I could have checked out some things on campus or in the surrounding area by myself. Don't rely on others and get out there! You might just find something so amazing you'll keep going back

Your room is going to get messy at some point

Believe me when I say your room will only look pristine and organized the first week of school (when you don't have classes and syllabus week). As time goes on, you'll be so busy that you won't have time to do your laundry, make your bed, and clean your desk. My tip is that if you ever have some free time over the weekend, just tidy up. You'll be doing you, your roommate, and your friends a favor.

Give yourself some alone time

College isn't about constantly doing things and seeming like you're always out and about. Sometimes, a great day can just be you relaxing in your room with Netflix, some snacks, and a nice nap. Being alone is a great chance to relax and decompress from the stress of the week. Don't be afraid to say no to plans to honor your alone time. We all deserve it.

Take naps only when you need them

This is the holy grail of knowledge for your first year! You'll often find yourself being really tired and taking a nap for however long you can, but this isn't good. Because of this, you'll be very groggy and have no energy for the rest of the day. Instead, take short naps (between 20 and 60 minutes) since this will give you your needed nap and also cut away from oversleeping. Also, don't take naps after 6 p.m. -- you'll be up all night if you do (trust me).

Learn to be okay with things not going your way

Throughout life, you're going to get some curveballs. These curveballs can have positive or negative results, but they all happen for a reason. During freshman year, I experienced some tough times with classes, extracurriculars, and my social life. I learned that I have to take whatever happens in stride and not overthink, because when I did, my life became so much more stressful and even sad at some times. If you face every situation with confidence and optimism, it will be much easier to deal with (even if it didn't go your way). Being flexible about changes will make you so much more prepared.

Take walks

Walking around campus or anywhere that is close is the best cure for stress, being tired, or mind blocks. By walking, you're taking a break from whatever is bringing a weight to your shoulders. You can clear your mind by walking or even think of more ideas and how to approach the situation/paper/work. In addition, walking is good for exercise and having some movement -- this doesn't happen that much during school.

Don't be pressured by others/expectations

This one is simple: do what you think is best and follow your gut. Just because your friends have one idea, doesn't make yours invalid. Never leave your comfort zone to impress others. You know what you should and shouldn't do and no one can change that.

Finally, "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Freshman year was one of the best years of my life so far. I can happily say that I am leaving my dorm and campus for a couple months with a smile on my face. I learned about myself and how to deal with so many situations.

Because of this year, I am so much more confident with the years to come.