The Battle For Venezuela's Freedom Of Expression

Free media is on the front lines.

28
Chaoticness.com

A free and independent media for a democratic nation has long been considered one of the quintessential pillars for a free society. The importance is widely viewed as an exceedingly crucial component in establishing an informed and vigilant citizenry to be wary of government repression and tyranny.

Everyone likely has their preferred source of newsworthy information and often have access to hundreds of nuanced and particular newsletter brands that are trusted. However, in many countries, this is not the case. Governments express varying degrees of control over media functions from significant degrees to minimal or non-existent attempts to constrict the flow of free and objective information. Some would dispute the nature of what is considered "unbiased" or "slanted" media, but that is the age old question when it comes to the theater of "free media."

Venezuela would not be considered in the category of "free" or independent media by many social commentators. According to the "Human Rights Watch," Venezuela allows some dissent within media circles, but the feeling of security and freedom to speak at liberty is increasingly constrained for fear of reprisal. "While criticism of the government is articulated in some newspapers and on some websites and radio stations, fear of government reprisals has made self-censorship a serious problem." Media organizations often have to operate underground to avoid government censorship/suppression from pro-government populist forces as Vice News journalists discovered in their segment of "Blackout": (featuring Venezuela) that examines the censorship of news media/social media. The fear of reprisal and government repression stems from the government's employment of violent populism (which will be explored later). Censorship is not the only contributor to this feeling of free media regression.

Al Jazeera also confirmed allegations that shortages of paper in 86 newspapers firms. According to the report, there was formally a steady flow of paper imports, but since the current president Nicolas Maduro centralized the flow of paper; the stream has not been as steady. Social activists in the opposition equate this with a form of government "monopolization of industry." Maduro has faced severe opposition because of this, fueling anti-Chavez activist and their agenda to undermine Maduro's presidency. Maduro is also at a bit of a disadvantage due to his often less than charismatic appearance, unlike his predecessor. Chavez was known for his larger-than-life persona by his people which earned him the "media-savvy" reputation.

Still, Maduro desperately wants to cling to his predecessor's legacy of invigorating pro-government censorship and repression of speech. The Opposition parties want to see an immediate de-escalation of censorship and restriction on things such as criticism of high-ranking government officials, economic policies.

Vice News also explored the nature of Venezuela's independent media and what pressure they feel on a day-to-day basis. According to the video segment, Venezuela has two predominant media forces whom represent the pro-government and opposition schisms. The Chavistas are the widespread and significantly powerful force behind the pro-Chavez government. Chavistas have demonstrations regularly in order to assuage voters to remain loyal to the 1999 revolution started by their beloved leader. Thousands of people will take to the street to voice their love and adoration for their late founding president. They often perceive independent journalists as a threat to their "democracy" and paint them as traitors or even as "terrorists" in some rhetorical circles.

The Chavista affiliated biker gangs (such as the "Activist Bikers Union") are sometimes associated with being an armed "mob" that aims to use violence to intimidate journalists from reporting in the field. The segment of the video that discusses this part of the Chavistas is around the time marker of 11:19. They have at times been accused by various independent media platforms such as "Efecto Cocuyo" (head quartered in the capital: Caracas) of using tear gas and public physical assaults of journalists. A journalist for "Efecto," Andrea Garcia reported of rocks being thrown at her and some of her colleagues' heads.The aggression is accentuated by the distrust and animosity of their alleged intentions. She often has to explain to people on the streets that they are not funded by public benefactors "We are independent of the government and opposition, no party gives us money" she often explains to demonstrators on the streets.

The Chavistas are not always known for their violent, by contrast, they often use large-scale propaganda machines and organizations to distribute fliers and supplies to bolster support for pro-government candidates and officials. With recent economic troubles, brewing to an extreme this makes the tumultuous situation a little more delicate. Supplies for people of all ages become a tool for manipulating/influencing voters at the polls.

"Efecto Cocuyo" might also be considered in large part to be a social media/live streaming platform for its recent uses of this medium to display live election results. They often delve into the economic issues currently shaping the country. According to "USA Today," the nation is currently experiencing economic hyper-inflation of nearly seven-hundred percent. This with a culmination of food shortages, and electricity rationing blackouts on a daily basis are contributing to the tumultuous political and social climate of Venezuela and especially.

In the course of this nation's history from pre-revolution to the now modern OPEC nation that it has become, Venezuela exhibits the struggles of an embattled Latin American power during the election crisis. Maduro, the incumbent president stemming from Chavez's party loyalists is fighting the 1.8 million signatures wanting to pass a referendum to remove him from office in light of the recent assassination of the opposition candidate/leader for the presidency German Mavare (53, May 6, 2016).

Many countries and nations continue to watch the unfolding drama inside this country and consider the implications for their own civil discourses. Governments are having to decide where they will stand on the issue of freedom of expression and press. The issue has never come at a more pivotal time as many countries are in the midst of major elections. Only time will tell what influence Venezuela will have on the emergence of free expression concerns.