Four Years: Freedom or Failure?
Politics

Four Years: Freedom or Failure?

Mr. Trump has four years to make or break us.

11
Four Years: Freedom or Failure?
Sun Sentinel

I have refrained from posting political rants and arguing my way through this election. I never dreamed that, as a first-time voter, my options would have been the two candidates represented. I never would have imagined that I would wake up to a world where a reality TV star is our president elect.

To preface my argument, I voted for neither one of these candidates. I have had family and friends chide my choice telling me that my vote was wasted or that I contributed to the opposing party of their choice. I wrestled with my options at that polling booth, but I left with a clear conscious. I left knowing that I had neither supported a politician with a habit of lying and a criminal history or a power-hungry man trying to get his name in a history book.

As I watched the election results pour in last night, I couldn't help but think about the potential future of our country. America has always been known for having open arms to immigrants. Nicknamed "The Great Melting Pot" is a prime example of the diversity that for years has been celebrated in our country. Yes, terrorism has wreaked havoc on this celebration and ignited a fear of those who are even the slightest bit different than us. I am heartbroken for those Americans who celebrate differences than the majority. Whether it be race, religion or simply difference of opinion, no American should live in fear. I am afraid for those who now face potential deportation and religious discrimination. I am sad for women who are survivors of rape and abuse who feel silenced. I empathize with any and every person who looks upon the next four years with a sense of dread. This is not the America that was built so many years ago.

To Mr. Trump I only ask that he prove me wrong. I pray that he shocks us all with a wisdom to guide our country in the direction that could pull us up out of the shallow grave we have fallen into. I hope that his words and his actions make America not only great again, but a welcoming country that celebrates freedom and diversity. I wish upon him a cabinet and support system that makes decisions to better our nation and all the people in it. I cannot judge this man based on his claims which to this point have been too large and outlandish to believe. Instead I will wait for his actions to see exactly where he leads us. Till then, I will wait anxiously and pray feverishly. Jesus is coming soon.