Four ways you can help a loved one who has been arrested.

The arrest of a loved one can be a hard problem with which to deal. While you might feel helpless, there are certain things you can do to help.

1625
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/23/636601105018845708-1327979668_Capture.PNG

The arrest of a loved one can be a hard problem with which to deal. While you might feel helpless, there are certain things you can do to help. Below are four ways you can help a loved one who has been arrested.

Keep Contact

While the old trope of only having one phone call isn’t exactly true, your loved one may not be able to contact everyone he or she needs to speak to while in jail. If you can get his or her permission to do so, you can work to update those who need to know what’s going on. This might include helping to cancel appointments, getting in contact with employers, or just keeping other friends and family members in the loop while he or she is in jail.

Contact an Attorney

You can also help your loved one by being a point person in contacting an attorney. While he or she will have to do most of the work, you can start making phone calls and putting out feelers. It might also be up to you to take a few initial steps like gathering up paperwork or helping the lawyer get in contact with others who might have an interest in what’s going on.

Posting Bail

In many cases, the most important thing you can do is to help your loved one get out of jail until the trial. This will mean posting bail, which will, in turn, mean speaking to a bail bonds service. While this isn’t something you should take lightly, it’s absolutely the right thing to do if you know your loved one will make his or her court date. Working with the right bonding company will help to ensure that the process moves more quickly and that your situation can be resolved more easily.

Helping with Court

While you might not be an attorney, you can help your loved one when it comes to court. You can make sure that he or she always has transportation to or from the courthouse and that he or she will always be able to dress professionally while there. These little supports might not seem like they mean much, but they can make a huge difference for those going through the legal system.

You will play a vital role in helping your loved one make it through the difficult period during and after he or she has been arrested. Whether you post bail, help find an attorney, or just provide a point of contact, your help will make a difference. While you can’t solve his or her problems, you can be an important source of aid during this trying time.