Four Ways 4-H Changes You

Four Ways 4-H Changes You

6
Four Ways 4-H Changes You
Marie Stinnett

Beginning in 1902, a family-favorite youth development program has stirred up quite the reputation for itself. Many believe that the organization is only relevant to those in rural counties, seeking knowledge about farm animals and canning food. 4-H is one of the largest youth development programs in the nation and serves nearly six million participants nationally through Cooperative Extension and more than 100 public universities. North Carolina alone serves over 208,000 enrolled members.

While the reputation for agriculture education is not without truth, 4-H has grown alongside modern youth beyond it's agricultural starting point and now offers education programs and activities in nearly every hobby students are interested in. The program offers opportunities to explore areas of leadership, service learning, science & technologies, and personal development. Whether you find interest in showing pigs, sewing projects, photography, or volunteering, your local 4-H agent will be able to find resources to plug you in. Below are just four of the ways that being an involved member can have a lifelong impact on you, and the communities you’re involved in:

1. You learn how to “make the best better”.

The program’s motto, "Make the Best Better", is evident and alive in every area of participation. Whether you are participating in a statewide event or a club program, you are likely to hear this phrase and use it as a cornerstone of your learning experience. It can be applied to turning negative experiences into positive ones, to bettering your community with service projects, or improving yourself on a personal level. 4-Hers are taught, through this mantra, that improvement is always an option -- and that lesson will carry over into their professional and personal adult lives, creating stronger relationships, better work ethics, and a stronger sense of curiosity.

2. Public Speaking will not scare you.

Public speaking competitions, or “presentations”, are regularly scheduled programs in the summer of nearly every 4-Her. Throughout the year, workshops and classes are offered to prepare youth for the exciting, rigorous statewide contest that evoke a strong sense of competition in the participants. Youth can give speeches on nearly anything! It provides important experience in public speaking, research, and healthy competition. It is also one of the best places for youth to learn how to both win and lose with grace and respect.

3. You learn where your food comes from.

Even though 4-H has rapidly evolved and modernized, agriculture education always has been and always will be an important aspect of the program. The diversity of interests allow youth from even the most urban counties to learn about farming ethics and livestock. This allows a better understanding of GMOs and other food labels. You also develop a better understanding of the specific agricultural markets in your state, like which region has the most apple orchards or which has the most hog farms.

4. Leadership become second-nature.

Because of the importance placed on participation and engagement, 4-H offers a plethora of youth leadership opportunities. Members can serve as officers on club, county, district, or state levels as they grow in the program. They’re taught important skills related to service learning, humble leading, and group organization. Aside from the ability to stand in front of the group and tell them what to do, 4-Hers are taught how to “lead from behind” and be an engaged leader. They learn to have a strong respect for rules and authoritative figures while also becoming independent thinkers.

The beautiful thing about the program is that it connects people from all over the world. There are no cookie-cutter requirements for joining or being involved. There are opportunities for everyone, no matter what their specific interests are, and the effects of being a 4-Her will stick with you for life.