4 Things To Remember When You Go To Your First Class

You are not your anxiety.
12

I promise you are not the only one."

By that I mean you are not the only one who's hands are sweating as you are walking into your first class. You are not the only one who feels like your chest is going to cave in. You are not the only one who thinks your outfit is too fancy for the first day (or in most of our cases, too lazy for the first day of class).

But boy howdy you are okay. Having anxiety about little things like this is normal. You are in a new place with literally thousands more people than you are used to. You went to a high school with your best friend to always hangout with, she was your go to person. You had the same schedule all year long, and you sat at the same lunch table. Now all of a sudden you have to put yourself out of your comfort zone (something we haven't done in a while) to make ourselves seem like awesome people and that everyone needs to be our friend (even though you are those things, maybe you could use some of these tips I have learned).

But here are some tips on how to try and overcome these things

1.) Breathe. I don't know about you, but sometimes when I get really nervous or anxious I forget that I need oxygen to live and hold my breath for a while.

2.) That girl sitting next to you with the perfect skin, perfect hair, expensive boots, that is planning out the rest of her life-- she doesn't have it all together either, I promise. But also give her a chance because she could be a really good asset later on when you need a friend or someone to vent about how the both of you are falling apart and everything around you is on fire.

3.) After the first few days, and you have gotten your feet wet, or maybe you're drowning which is totally normal, you will start to get the hang of things. Someone will be there to help pull you back to the surface, and maybe it's that cute boy in your biology class or it's the kid that never talks but turns out to be your biggest asset in the class.

4.) I can promise you that everyone in that class is as nervous as you are. You are not the only one.

College is literally one of the most amazing times in your life, but it also is the most stressed you will EVER be. You just have to learn to balance, which believe me, is easier said than done. Like right now as I am typing this I remembered I have a paper due tomorrow and a huge test as well. Crap. Listen, good luck, and you totally got this, and it isn't as scary as it seems to you seniors in high school reading this. It will be/is so much fun. Don't forget to call your mom and dad either. Like seriously.