4 Things They Don't Tell You About Double Majoring

299

When I first came to college, I didn't think I'd be a double major, yet now I'm majoring in theatre and rhetoric and media studies. I don't regret this decision, but I wish someone would've shared with me some of the following things I've discovered about double majoring.

1. You'll have a special distaste for general ed

Some students are trying to complete two 40 credit majors, and on top of that, they have to complete several courses that don't even go to their majors. Because I have so many other requirements for my majors, my general ed courses are at the bottom of my list of priorities. I feel horrible about this, because some of these courses are genuinely interesting; however, I don't have the time to put in as much effort as I'd like to. My advice to any prospective double majors out there is to take general ed course that can also meet your major requirements. Also, if you can, take general ed courses over the summer. It will be such a relief to have some extra space in your schedule.

2. Get comfortable with your department

Once your general ed is taken care of, a majority of your courses will be limited to your majors. While colleges offer expansive lists of courses, you will not have the time to venture outside your departments. On the plus side, your majors are probably something your passionate about, so you'll be able to take courses tailored to these interests, but don't get your hopes up that you'll be able to explore every field of study that's offered. Also, if you happen to go to a liberal arts college, like I do, get comfortable with the people in your departments. Since your classes are going to be mainly within your majors' departments, be prepared to have the same professors again and again. It won't hurt to develop good relations with these professors, so go to their office hours, say hi to them in the halls and make sure they are familiar with you.

3. Figuring out your schedule is a trial

The biggest issue I've faced is figuring out when I can take my required courses. I've spent days working out my four year plan. Trying to piece together one major's requirements with another's and incorporating the rest of my graduation requirements is like figuring out a rubix cube. Some of the required courses for one major will interfere with the other, like they're competing for my attention. Plus, there is always the fear that you won't be able to get into one of your major's courses, and then you'll have to rework the entire puzzle. If you can, talk to your advisors and see if they can tell you what courses will be offered through out your whole college career. Also, have several back up courses that can meet your majors' requirements.

4. Say goodbye to studying abroad through your school

To those double majors out there, take a look at your schedules, and you'll notice there is little breathing room, which means you probably won't be able to study abroad during the school year. If you want to double major and travel abroad, it is possible, but you'll probably have to do so over the summer and through a program outside of the college. Fair warning: trying to get credit for abroad programs outside your school is a challenge, but it is possible.

If you want to double major it is possible, and it is definitely worth it. Just keep in mind the obstacles that come with taking on the extra work load.