Four Great Movies made before 2000

Four Great Movies made before 2000

106
Four Great Movies made before 2000
Youtube

There are a lot of great movies that have come out in the past few years. I loved The Hunger Games series along with all of the other best selling dystopian series, which were then brought to the big screen. I loved The Martian, Inside Out, Star Wars: The Force Awakens among many more. Although there are a ton of great movies that have come out and are coming out soon, there are a lot of oldies that are unforgettable. Here are my four favorites that were all made before the year 2000!

A League of Their Own

A League of Their Own is a fictionalized story based on the real All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. During World War II, most of the men playing professional baseball were enlisted and the Men's Major League Baseball was threatened. Therefore, women took the stage and created a league of their own. Women all across the country were recruited to try out in Chicago. At first, people made fun of girls for playing, but the game soon caught peoples eyes and games were being sold out.

The story revolves around two sisters, Dottie and Kit, and their team, The Rockford Peaches. The team works together and has a lot of fun, but due to the war, some women on the team face the loss of their husbands. The women play and work together making it to the finals, proving that women can play baseball in the big leagues.

Far and Away

Far and Away is another great one. The story begins with a man named Joseph, who is thrown form his home after the death of his father. He seeks revenge on his landlord, intending to kill him, but is caught and sentenced to death. Shannon, the landlord's daughter wanting to leave her parents and move to the U.S., escapes on a ship by the help of Joseph. They end up in Boston and get jobs to make enough money to get to Oklahoma and claim free land, all the while, the two fall in love. Joseph proves to be a good boxer, but unfortunately loses a crucial match and the two lose everything during a cold winter.

Shannon's parents decide to move to America to be with her along with a man, Chase, in hopes to capture Shannon's eye. He finds her and the two lovers are separated, but the two meet again during the race for territory. Joseph races and works to claim land to win their future. This is a fantastic love story, a man who fights his inner demons to prove to himself he deserves the girl of his dreams. At the same time, it is filled with thrilling action and fighting, a truly fantastic movie all around!

Grave of the Fireflies

Grave of the Fireflies is another movie set during World War II, but on the other side of the world, Japan. The animated film begins with a boy named Seita and his younger sister Setsuko, who live with their mother. During the time of war, air raid sirens constantly go off as bomber planes fly above. Due to their mothers bad health, she leaves for a bomb shelter, leaving Seita to care for Setsuko. The bombs finally hit their city and the two lose their mother. They go to live at their aunts house Seita is put to work for rent, but it is not enough.

They find an abandoned bomb shelter and out of the horror and darkness find light with the fireflies. However, the next morning they are all dead, which signifies all of the losses throughout Japan. They run out of food and Setsuko suffers from malnutrition, leading to Setsuko's death. The story does not end happily because Seita soon follows his little sister to the grave. Although this is an animated film, it tells a tale that needs to be shown. It displays the tragedy that war brings. It is a heavy movie, but was fantastically created. Be prepared for waterworks.

The Princess Bride

The Princess Bride is another great one. The love story mixed with comedy is unforgettable. Buttercup, a farm girl has been chosen to be the princess bride to Prince Humperdinck. However, she does not love him, she loves a man named Westley who was hired to work on the farm. Every day she asks him to do daily duties and he answers "as you wish", but he must leave her and go away at sea and is killed by pirates. Buttercup is then captured by silly bandits, a giant named Fezzik, and a Spaniard named Inigo Montoya who are then chased by pirates. PLOT TWIST, Westley didn't die and he chases the bandits and the pirates to save his love. This silly love story is full of laughs, fantasy forests with rodents of unusual size, sword fighting, torture, and chases.

This summer, spend some screen time after work or whatever you're doing and lounge around, you deserve it! Watch some old movies that are 100 percent worth it!