Has Fortnite Started A New Trend For Games?

Fortnite may have gone beyond being the most popular video game of the last few years, it may have even revolutionized the gaming industry as a whole. When Epic Games came up with Fortnite it was under a much different concept centered around realistic players and realistic gameplay with comparisons to video games like the Call of Duty series. This changed after discovering that all the ideas that they had for the video game would take too long and cost too much money before they could ever get it off the ground. The game was then centered around fictional gameplay and cartoon like. Upon early success for the game the creators decided to alter the game and add a 100 person Battle Royale in addition to man vs land concept they already had it made all the difference. The game became an almost instant sensation played everywhere. However, Epic Games was different with their approach and may very well have changed the gaming industry as a whole, and for the better.

https://giphy.com/gifs/new-girl-new-girl-xT1XGUM8m...

One of the things that makes Fortnite so fun is how accessible it is. The game can be found on Xbox, Playstation 4, and even PC. Most video games already come out on the PS4 or Xbox but the availability drops when it comes to PC. The biggest revolution they came up with was cross compatibility, the ability for people to play each other across platforms. A PC could now be on their laptop playing across the world against someone on their Xbox One. The compatibility doesn't stop there as they also created an app that is completely compatible and even recently released the game on the Nintendo Switch which was an instant hit. They did this by having players sign up for an account within the game rather than relying on the game account set up with the player's system. Although this is huge and players can play each other across consoles, Xbox and PS4 players still can't play each other directly which kinda sucks but definitely a step forward for cross compatible gaming as a whole.

https://tenor.com/search/computer-gifs

Of the many unique features of Fortnite one of the concepts which is new to most gamers is the idea of building. In the game to win the Battle Royale one would have to at least be a decent builder. Building isn't exactly easy especially right out the gate. However, building has become a huge deal in the game and one of the keys to winning. This a huge change from the normal just seeing someone and shooting them like usually seen in Call of Duty.

https://www.beano.com/posts/10-best-fortnite-battl...

By far one of the biggest revolutions is the fact that the game is free. Being a free download for it's systems has increased the popularity of the game immensely and made it easy for anyone to play the game. This is a huge deal as most new games that come out usually come with a starting price of 60$ so the fact that this huge game is completely free to play is almost too good to be true. The developers rely on their in game packages to do the selling for them as it includes different cools features, outfits and weapons to increase gameplay or to just look plain stylish. Do not be fooled though, even without an up front price the game is worth billions.

https://giphy.com/gifs/dancing-happy-money-KTPHCdd...

As a whole Epic Games has an obvious smash hit. The game is so big it has to have an effect on the rest of the gaming world. Does this mean every video game going forward is going to be free? Most likely, not. Though, it could push some games to try the approach which could push it to be the new normal.

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1350569-fortnite