For When Life Is Overwhelming

Sometimes life seems incredibly overwhelming and I wonder if I’ll be able to make it through the week. Lately, my mantra has been “make it through the day.” Looking too far in advance at what the semester holds leaves me frozen like a deer in the headlights, so I have decided to take the next few months one step at a time.

While I often feel incredibly overwhelmed and I have a thousand things on my plate, I can take assurance in a few things that I know to be true. The first is that I have been overwhelmed in the past and have gotten through it. I have seen a saying floating around the internet that says, “you’ve survived 100 percent of your bad days” and it’s such a good thing to keep in mind. I’ve gotten through some tough spots in the past just fine, and I can do it this time. The second thing I keep in mind is that no matter what happens in my world, God’s got my back. When the going gets rough, I sometimes forget that God’s got everything figured out and that there is no need to worry and stress.

When I’m feeling low, I often turn to my trusty Bible for some grounding and reminders that everything is going to be okay. Here’s some verses to remind you that you're not alone in the struggle:

“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7

“God is our refuge and strength, and ever present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea… The Lord Almighty is with us.” Psalm 46:1-2

“The Lord replied, ‘My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” Exodus 33:14

“The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.” Nahum 1:7

“When He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold.” Job 23:10

“Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me.” Psal, 50:15

"God...will take care of you day and night forever.” - Norman Vincent Peale