For The Girls Who Got Called Bossy

For The Girls Who Got Called Bossy

Stop calling him a boss, but calling her bossy; it is limiting both of them.

261
For The Girls Who Got Called Bossy
everypixel.com

Growing up I never paid much attention to how boys and girls are treated differently. I liked to play soccer and be a ballerina, I liked mud and lipgloss, and I never thought twice about it. The older I got the more I was shamed for who I was. Women told me to cross my legs and "act like a lady."

I got more and more frustrated when all the cool Halloween costumes were "for boys." I got to choose between princess, nurse or unicorn. There were no superhero, boss-type or strong girl costumes. The same qualities came for toys and books that were in "my aisle" of the toy store.

I had an amazing imagination when I was a kid. I came up with all sorts of games and inventions, but adults and my peers began to call me "bossy." Little me began to wonder why I was "bossy" but the boys were "driven, smart and going places."

The way we try to constrain girls and boys into strict boxes is inhumane. And, honestly, the standards only get worse as kids grow older. He was "running the bases" but she was "a slut." It seemed her body was always too small, too big, too tall, too short, too different.

When I got a math problem wrong I was given the answer and a "nice try," whereas my male classmates were pushed until they got the right answer. I got dress-code violations for pants that were "too tight" and shoes that were "athletic wear." The reality was those were the only school pants I could find for girls and my feet hurt in the tight little flats marketed for me. I got discouraged from eating another piece of chocolate because I might "get fat and then no boy would like me."

My emotions were invalid because I had "too many" and was "dramatic." I shouldn't try to go for the "pretty soprano roles" in the musicals because I was the "funny alto one." I shouldn't do this and I couldn't do that. It seemed no matter which way I went I wasn't fitting up to society's standards of what a "nice young lady" should be doing.

I didn't have enough safety schools on my list and my reach schools were completely unreasonable. It's funny the males in my college guidance sessions with lower grades and test scores were never told the same. They were never asked if they were "tired" because they hadn't put on makeup that day.

Stop telling little girls to "cross their legs, shut their mouths, and try to not take up too much space." Stop telling little boys having emotions or crying isn't "manly." Stop making "fight like a girl" an insult. Encourage girls to dream big, work hard and to be empowered. Encourage boys to be vulnerable, creative, and patient.

Please, for little girls everywhere, stop calling her "bossy." You're wrong – I am not bossy. I am driven, smart, funny and beautiful. I am a boss. So stop limiting girls and shaming women who don't fit your ideal mold.

Girls, be strong. Wear dresses or pants. Be funny and loud, wear a tutu at your soccer game. Stop letting society shame you for being "too..." or "not enough..." You are perfect just the way you are.