For My Loyal Best Friend

For My Loyal Best Friend

Everyone has one of these companions.

27
For My Loyal Best Friend
Alana Magro

Many people have this type of loyal friend, and at the end of the day, who knows what we would do without them. I'm sure everyone will immediately catch on to who I'm talking about and instantly relate to me on several different levels.

There is a never-ending list of things I should thank you for or reasons I love you, but it would still never add up for everything you do for me. Thank you for always waiting up for me when I would come home at the latest hours. Thank you for always being excited to see me walk through the door, even if I just saw you five minutes ago. I love how when everyone is asleep but I’m still awake, you’ll cuddle next to me and keep me company. Or when I’m upset and you push away my tears. There is not one day where you're not loving me unconditionally and making me feel more important than ever.

I will always be appreciative of you eating the food I accidentally drop in the kitchen, just in time so my mom doesn’t scold me. I love feeling safe at night even if I’m home alone, because I know you’ll always have my back. Thank you for welcoming all of my friends who walk through the door and loving everyone just the same (except for me, because I know you like me the best).

I will love you through all of your bad haircuts, or when you walk in the house after being in the pouring rain (and you kind of smell). I will love you through every time you pee on the floor out of excitement and I’m the one cleaning it up. I will love you through your endless barks when I don’t throw your ball quick enough. I will love you through it all, simply because you love me through it all too.

You love me though my bad moods, and when I don't acknowledge you when I walk into the house. You love me even when I get frustrated with you when you’re not doing anything wrong, and I just seem to be having a bad day. You love me through taking your favorite spot on the couch, and not sharing it with you sometimes, because let’s be honest -- you take up a lot of room. You love me whether I'm cranky, happy, or sad. This is something I'm eternally grateful for.

Thank you for going for long drives with my mom and visiting me at college. I love seeing the two of you hop out the car, ready to embrace me with a hug. I can't imagine making memories without my incredible best friend by my side. The reason I refuse to address you in this letter as "my dog" is because that title is completely unfitting. You are not just my dog -- you're my family.