Food for Thought

Food for Thought

Seven Thanks for Thanksgiving

4
Food for Thought
Branson groups

When I think of Thanksgiving my first memory that I think of pertains to elementary school. I remember sitting in our desks surrounded by scissors, colorful paper, glue sticks, and numerous markers and crayons. Thanksgiving in elementary school always had some sort of craft involved, either hand turkeys, pilgrim hats, or drawings including all of the letters from 'thanksgiving.' Teachers always said to talk about what you're thankful for, usually the ginormous feast we would be eating in a week with our family members, as a way of celebrating the Holiday.

As a young adult in this fast paced world of education, smart phones, and confrontation, the way I now view Thanksgiving as a Holiday go a lot deeper than hand turkeys and crafts that turn my hand into various colors of the rainbow. I constantly see people fighting or arguing with one another, whether it be because of recent events or just out of spite. In light of these actions and this holiday, I think it's best to not only be thankful for what one has and keep them close to heart, but to also be thankful. By this I mean that it is one thing to have aspects of one's life to be thankful for, but it's another thing to show thankfulness during the Holiday. Actions speak louder than words, and I believe the best way to be thankful are remembering the following seven sections, written elementary style, for old times sake.

T for Thankful

Starting easy, think about what in your life makes you thankful to be alive right now. Whether it be something simple like the cup of coffee you get every morning or the watching you favorite TV show every Wednesday night. Or maybe it's being able to get a college degree or wake up to you family every morning. Hold this close to you and stay thankful for them.

H for Humble

Corresponding with thankful, stay humble. Remember not everyone has what you have. Not everyone will be at their grandma's house this Thursday for a big dinner and not everyone will be enjoying the company of their friends and family, celebrating and sharing each other's lives.

A for Attentive

It is so easy to take the time you get with others for granted. We live in a fast paced world with electronic distractions, busy schedules, and uninterested attitudes. Be attentive to those you have around you. If you're lucky enough to have family members that have Thanksgiving to spend with you, enjoy their company and pay attention to them. Remember, tomorrow is a new day that will bring new experiences. Enjoy what you have today, because it might not be there for you tomorrow.

N for Novaturient

While Thanksgiving is a time to be thankful for what one has, it is also a great time to seek change to make your life better, allowing you to become more thankful. Perhaps you want to go to college for the first time or buy a car, or start a family. You can always turn your life around, but there's not better time to show you how to do it than Thanksgiving time.

K for Kind

Whether you're eating with your mom and dad, or your cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc., or just skipping Thanksgiving and going straight to Black Friday shopping, remember to be kind to each other. No doubt someone will bring up the recent election, or someone will burn the pumpkin pie, or you'll get shoves in a crowded store. Keep in mind, it's a holiday, be considerate to those around you, be the bigger person. It's not hard to be kind to others, we all grew up with the golden rule, "Treat people the way you want to be treated."

S for Sincere

When spending time with loved ones or spreading the love on social media, don't be fake. Don't do something for the attention or the followers. Within a year, you have 364 days outside of Thanksgiving to get people to like you, but on a holiday like Thanksgiving be sincere. Showing others how thankful you are for your life and how happy you are to be where you are at, be genuine, it's respectable and admired.

Giving is for Giving

Thanksgiving is meant for people to be thankful for what they have in their life today. However, we cannot ignore the 'giving' part of the holiday. Giving to those who have less than you doesn't mean going out and buying someone an entire feast for them to eat. You can do less extravagant gestures but still be making a difference. Maybe donating a bag of food to an animal shelter, bringing in boxed foods and canned goods to the local food pantry, or maybe just paying a meal forward in a drive thru line. You can even visit a hospital and read to the children there or stopping by a nursing home and talk to the elderly there. Giving back doesn't always cost money, but it can still make a difference.

It can be so easy to forget these seven simple ways of acting during our lives. We are always moving around, building our weekly schedules, and so on. This time of year is one of the most important times to remember who we are and why we are thankful to be where we are at in our lives. During your turkey basting, cookie baking, family pictures, and so on, simply remember to live in the moment show your thanks to those you love.