I Followed My Boyfriend To College And I Don't Regret It

Although, not every day at JSU has been great. Looking back, these last two years have been the best years of my life.

Raven Bowman
83

When I was a junior in high school I was set on attending the local community college. My boyfriend was set on going to a college about three hours away, Jacksonville State University. He tried to convince me to attend JSU with him, but I was determined to stick with my decision on attending the local community college. It was cheaper and I would be able to stay with my family.

Eventually, I toured JSU with him one day.

The next day, I applied to attend JSU.

My family was understandably a little upset as I all of the sudden decided to go to JSU. It was expensive and I was going to be away from home.

I have grown so much. I have formed my own opinions on subjects that are important to me. I am able to be myself all of the time without worrying if I am being compared to other family members by the locals.

While being at JSU, I have accomplished so many things I never thought I could do. I have moved into an apartment with my boyfriend of (almost) five years. I am the president of Odyssey at JSU. I have made A's and B's throughout my college career. I have made A's in classes that people told me were going to be hard and impossible to pass.

I went from being that shy girl in high school to someone who will stand up for herself and loved ones.

While being at JSU, I have learned to embrace what makes me different. I am no longer trying to hide that I like certain things. I know who I am.

I know that I would do anything for my family and friends. I know that I am obsessed with Grey's Anatomy and BB8. I know my opinions and I am not afraid to disagree with you. I love taking photographs of things that make me happy. I love my major and I absolutely can not wait to dive deeper and take more challenging classes. I love writing articles every week.

I am more involved on campus than I ever was in high school. I do things that I want to do. I like to do things that can help me grow as a person.

I know if I don't like something, I will stop doing it.