Focused, Motivated, Fearless

Focused, Motivated, Fearless

Lessons from the tragic death of civil rights activist Darren Seals

20
Focused, Motivated, Fearless
www.democracynow.org

On August 3, 2015, civil rights activist Darren Seals writes on his Facebook:

3 years ago on this day I was sitting in the hospital bed with 7 bullets in me. I was smiling the whole time and nobody understood why but I just had this feeling in me saying 'you survived this because it's great things in your future'. I went through unimaginable pain, family members turned they back on me while I was down, I was broke had to move in with my best friend and her son while I recovered. But I worked by way back up physically, mentally, and finically. Now 3 years later today I'm n my way to the most important meeting of my life. Maybe that's what's that smile was all about I just didn't know back then.

On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at around 2am, this fearless 29 year old's life had abruptly ended. His struggle for justice and equality ended when he was found dead in a burning car with a gun shot wound. The St. Louis County Police Department said in a statement that they had responded to a call about a burning vehicle and that Seals's body was found in the charred car on Diamond Drive in Riverview in St. Louis County. The St. Louis County Bureau of Crimes Against Persons is investigating this case as a homicide.

Since hearing of his death, the civil rights and Ferguson communities have been mourning his loss yet appreciating his hard work. St. Louis activist Keith Rose recalls, "He didn’t go out to the national level like many of the organizers. He stayed home and tried to fix Ferguson first," The impression that he left was that he was a real, steadfast advocate for the people. He was one of the first community members to stand up for and support the Brown family after the killing of Michael Brown by former police officer Darren Wilson in Ferguson, Missouri. Never seeking airtime, Seal proved that he was never an activist for the fame; rather, he organized protests to stand up against the mistreatment of Black communities because that was what he was passionate about.

Seal always promoted civil protest, even when he was harassed by police officers. When he and his 14 year old brother were stopped by law enforcement officers in June 2016 for something he posted about Trump, Seals recorded the encounter live on Facebook. “Me and my little brother just got slammed, guns pointed at our faces, and detained by Ferguson PD for being activist against Trump,” Seals writes. In the video, Seals describes that him and his brother were picking things up for their sick mother and were stopped on drug suspicion and because Seals speaks out against Trump on social media. Seals also goes on saying that they slammed him and his brother and pulled guns on the both of them. The police pointing a gun at his younger brother especially angered Seals.

Despite this harassment and understandable anger, Seals did not result to violence. In fact, his main priority was to protect his community and in order to do that, he promoted nonviolence to the youth. Another protest leader named Russell, who was close to Seals, recalled a meeting with a group of young men who wanted to attack the police after being teargassed for the first time. Seals had told the young men, some of whom were gang members, that they needed to fight back another way. He then showed them how to protect themselves by wearing bandanas, gloves, and other protective gear.

August 3 is a special date for Darren Seals because that was the day that he no longer feared death. Even when he was shot seven times and treated like a criminal when the police had arrived, he never gave up. He knew he had a larger purpose in life. On August 3, 2015, he writes,

Once you don't fear death anymore nothing else even comes close to scaring you... [I] decided.. I would use it for the better, to stand up and fight for others. To be bold enough to say what most are afraid to say. To dare to try to become something in this world... now I fight with my mind which is a much strong weapon then my hands ever was. August 3rd is a day I'll never forget not only because of the pain I went through and still go through today because of it but also the man it made me become which is focused, motivated, and fearless........Idk what the future holds but I know greatness lies ahead of me because if it wasn't August 3rd 2013 would've been my last day

From that day until the day he died, Darren Seals lived his life devoted to being bold enough to stand up for himself and for others. I think that one of the motivating factors behind his diligent activism is his 14 year old brother. I think that Seals was so fearless because he wanted his brother to live in a world better than what it currently is. He didn't want his brother to face all of the struggles he faced or be killed one day like Seals eventually would be. Seals is just like all of us in this way: caring about our loved ones and wanting to protect them. The only difference between him and us is that when he tried to protect his community, he was killed for it.

Darren Seals was killed out of fear. He was a man who stood up and fought for others. He was a man of peace and strength. He was never sorry for telling the truth and what was most frightening to white supremacists: he was unapologetically Black and fearless. He smiled through the pain because he knew he had a bigger purpose. He spent his life fighting for justice and he always stood up for others. Because of his bravery to stand up against cruelty, violence, and hatred, we can all learn something from Darren Seals.

So go out into your community. Look out for each other. Stand up for one another. Be focused. Be motivated. Be fearless. Because only when you're asleep can you see the future and only when you're "woke" can you see the present.