10 Reasons Why You Wish You Were A Florida Gator

I said it's great to be a Florida Gator, said it's great to be a Florida Gator.

1049
Jenna Riech, September 2017

Why UF? This was something I had to ask myself a year ago. Before coming to the University of Florida, you really don't know what's in store for you to experience. The saying, "It's great to be a Florida Gator" is one you will hear all the time throughout your four years on campus, and here's why...

1. The sports.

From football to basketball to volleyball to gymnastics, UF has a huge fan base that bleeds orange and blue. When you walk into the swamp on a Saturday game day, you immediately feel a part of the Gator Nation. Don’t forget that we’re an SEC school, so all sports are taken seriously. Right over left.

2. The weather.

Let's just say I go to school where you vacation. As an out-of-state Gator coming from the cold winters of New York, there’s nothing like a low of 50 degrees in December. Going to the “Broward Resort” pool with your friends makes a good day great.

3. The campus.

When you walk around the University of Florida, you’re never walking somewhere that doesn’t have a beautiful view. Right when you walk out of the Marston library, you’re captivated by the sight of Century Tower and Turlington, the heart of UF’s campus.

4. The Greek life.

Joining a sorority for me was the start of many friendships I have made here at UF. Greek Life is a huge part of the university as it allows you to meet people similar to yourself and make a new family and new sisters.

5. The tailgates.

There's no better feeling than waking up on a game day. Getting ready with your friends, eating a 5-second breakfast, and getting decked out in blue and orange, hoping from frat house to frat house. Girls do their hair and makeup for these days, just to come back soaked in sweat from the Florida heat. We’re tailGATORS.

6. The food.

Whether you go to mid, downtown, or Chef Dane’s Kitchen at dphie, there is an endless variety of dining options at UF. From Dragonfly for Japanese, Boca Fiesta for Mexican, Social for American food, or 3 Natives (or now 29 82 In The Swamp…?) for an acai bowl, there are so many options that you’ll realize Gainesville has a wider variety than you originally thought!

7. The "facey" places.

If you don’t go to UF, you probably have never heard of the term “facey.” Facey means that you show face a lot in important places. The facey places at UF include Marston Library, Lib West 3rd Floor, Fats, Broward Lobby for freshman, student rec or southwest rec if you can get there. You know the facey people when you see them; every day.

8. The people.

Walking around the university, you see a new face every single day. In my opinion, there’s nothing better than meeting new people who are able to make your day better, and this is what happens here. When you walk around the edge of campus, you might just be lucky enough to run into Dennis, (if you go to UF, you know)

9. The location.

If there's ever a dull weekend at UF, the location suits you perfectly as Miami and the South Florida area is only a four-hour drive away, and Orlando is only two and a half. There will not be a dull weekend due to the adventures that are only a few hours away from campus.

10. The Good Life.

Otherwise known as IUF1000, at the University of Florida, all freshman are able to discover “What is the good life.” I found my good life out after I finished the class in December, now I live the good life. I believe the Good Life has to do with attending UF, it’s not good, it’s amazing.

Every day I’ve spent here during my first year has opened my eyes to all UF has to offer. The more time you spend here, the more you realize how great it really is to be a Florida Gator. Chomp Chomp.