Five-Year Plans Are Important
Life Stages

Yes, 5-Year Plans Are Overrated

I don't need a five-year plan to determine if I'm going to be successful or not. I have my work ethic and determination to prove myself.

29
Yes, 5-Year Plans Are Overrated
Devan Kahlbaugh

I sit here writing, thinking about my five-year plan. Five years doesn't seem far enough into the future, but at the same time, it seems closer than a year. I don't exactly have a five-year plan. I have a one-year goal and within a few years goals.

I want to move out of the state of Florida in a year. The heat has gotten to me, and I can't stand the discontinuity in weather changes.

I want to have a job doing something that has to do with writing once I'm settled in my new place. I still don't know exactly what I want to do because I'm still researching different writing jobs and what they do in their day-to-day.

I want to publish my first book. I don't think this will fall under my five-year plan so much as it would my ten-year plan.

I want to buy my own house. This would technically fall under my ten-year plan, but I would hope to be able to do it in five-years.

Whether I'm in a new state or not, I want to be here in Orlando for the opening day of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge with my family. During that time, I want to stay in a Disney hotel and have a two-day park hopper pass, so we can see all the parks without rushing to see them all in a single day. I imagine I'd have nearly a full-year to save for both events (moving and Disney) which would make this slightly difficult, but well worth it when I get to move to another state and see all of Disney World including the Star Wars park in all its glory.

When I was graduating high school, they asked me what my plans were after college, and they said to be as specific as possible. Back then, I wrote a page long of what I thought I was going to do after high school. If I had to write that page again, it would go very differently.

I might say that I will be going to school to get my degree in English because through my English class I found a love of writing. During college, I will be working on my first book to get it ready to publish. After college, I might try to publish that book. I had likely gotten rejected a few times. Until finally someone picked up my book and saw that it was good and could represent it the way it deserved. It will have been in all major bookstores, and many people bought it looking for something good to read. Then those people fell in love and requested more. More of my writing.

Let me not get ahead of myself. The truth is, I don't know what I want to accomplish in five years other than graduating college and moving out of my home state for good. I don't even have a single clue what I'd want to do in ten-years other than buy a house and maybe try querying my book. I know one thing is for sure. The future is yet to come, and if I try my damnedest, I can achieve whatever I set my mind to.