5 Things I Learned From Being In My Best Friend's Wedding

5 Things I Learned From Being In My Best Friend's Wedding That'll Help You On Your BFF's Big Day

Nothing will ever be perfect, so focus on making the day "perfect" for the bride.

388

This past weekend, my best friend got married. It wasn't even my wedding, but in the weeks prior, I was stressing out and super nervous. I know now that it was because I just wanted everything to go perfectly for her big day. As a child, every little girl dreams of her wedding day, and I wanted her day to be everything she wanted! Here are 5 things I learned from her wedding, that'll help you ahead of your BFF's big day.

1. Start getting ready... early.

Making sure everybody in the wedding looks their best takes a lot of time... and I mean A LOT of time! Obviously there will be wedding photographs and random pictures taken by family members, so nobody wants to look subpar. On top of getting ready, time needs to be allotted in case something is forgotten, because it will happen. Never think you are planning too early, because something will go wrong, and that's okay!

2. Make memories.

When I was asked to be a bridesmaid, I never thought it would be as much fun as it actually was! From the bachelorette party to the actual wedding day, I was constantly reminded how much friendship truly meant. The night before the wedding, my soon-to-be mother-in-law and sister-in-law went up to the venue to decorate. We tried this incredible coffee place across the street, which I never would have gone to if it wasn't for them. At the bachelorette party, the girls even talked me into going horseback riding, and if you know me, you know that that is wayyyy out of my comfort zone. These are memories that are irreplaceable, and I will tell my kids about them one day.

3. Nothing will ever be perfect, so focus on making the day "perfect" for the bride.

My best friend is a wonderful human being. The one thing she wanted at her wedding was for everybody to have a good time! While most everybody did, there were a few people who decided to stir the pot. Whether they were friends who didn't get invited or people who just didn't vibe together, something just didn't sit right with them. My friend stressed out about this a lot, which should not have happened on her wedding day. The most important thing to remember about a wedding is that it is about the BRIDE and the GROOM. Nobody else. Once you are part of the bridal party, it is your job to make sure that all of the ducks are in a row for the bride. Everybody else's ducks can be drowning or throwing a rave, but their ducks are not important. It is important for the day to be perfect for the bride.

4. Dance like nobody is watching.

At my friend's wedding, we learned so many dances! There were classics, like the "Boot Scootin' Boogie", and newer songs, like the "Git Up". At the end of the night, though, it didn't matter if we messed up on dances we practiced because we all had fun! We probably looked silly doing some dances, because I personally cannot dance to save my soul, but I had a great time with my friends, and that is all that matters! Even the DJ was impressed with how much we knew. Honestly, I was impressed with how much we remembered. I now have a mental library of dances that I can do at other events. Ladies, just remember to take your heels off before you start dancing. Your feet will thank you in the morning.

5. Be ready to cry.

All of the craziness of the wedding is worth it when the music starts and the bride walks down the aisle. Nobody really prepares you for what you see and how you are supposed to react. It's not just the fact that she looks beautiful, but also the look on the groom's face. It's the fact that it is THIS exact moment that you two have talked about for the longest time. This is the moment that months and years of planning have led up to. It is fantastic. I am a crier, so it wasn't a surprise that I cried. However, I was surprised at how much I cried. I didn't cry a cute little cry. I cried an, "Oh, I hope the photographer doesn't get this" cry. Even though the entire bridal party was boo-hoo-ing, they were all happy tears. We got to watch our friend marry the love of her life. That moment is priceless.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.