Five Things You Should Never Ask or Say to an Only-Child

It's not my fault I do not have a sibling, so why am I being punished with criticizing questions?

95
Karen Sibert

Only-children have had a lot of assumptions made about them. I don't mind being an only-child at all. I will say that there are certain questions and phrases, though, that get directed for me because of my status that truly irk me.

1.) “Only children are spoiled brats.”

Yes, thank you for telling me that I’m a spoiled brat. No, it does not make it better when you find that I am an only-child and quickly add, “but you’re not like most only-children!” Please, you cannot just assume that all only-children are spoiled brats just because you have met an only child who is not so pleasant to be around. I know many people with siblings who are spoiled brats.

2.) “They always get what they want.

Whoa! What makes you think this? Just because I am an only-child does not mean that I have never heard the word no. I understood from a very young age that I cannot always get everything that I want in life, and that is okay.

3.) “Do you ever wish you had a sibling?”

Not really. This is kind of a tough question to answer. I don’t understand what I am missing out on, so I wouldn’t necessarily say I wish I had a sibling. I am perfectly content continuing the life I have now, but thank you for the concern.

4.) “I bet your parents bought you everything you ever wanted.”

Just because I do not have siblings, does not mean that my parents were fairy godmothers or genies. They provided me with a great life. Yes, I received some amazing gifts over the years (a ginormous thank you to my mom and dad or those), but I would be lying if I said I got everything that I ever asked for.

5.) “Does it ever get lonely?”

Lonely from what? I have my parents here, and this is all I have ever known. I would not say I’m lonely just because I do not have a sibling simply because I have never had a sibling to miss or live without. Do you ever feel crowded with a sibling? It’s the same thing.