Five Things Gluten Intolerant People are Sick of Hearing

What not to say to make friends with people that are gluten free

7
google

Gluten allergies seemed to come out of nowhere and now they are taking over. So many people are hopping on the gluten free train that is mind blowing. For the people that did not choose the gluten free life, there are some things that people say to us that are just really annoying.

1. Do you not eat gluten because you choose not to? NO! I did not willing choose to give up all of the best food the world has to offer. I would never pick to not be able to eat bread, cookies, cake, pasta, breaded meat. There are days would I would literally do ANYTHING to be able to eat a doughnut and not be in pain. I wish I could eat all of the chocolate chip cookies in the world and never have to turn down another piece of cake. I would never in my life CHOOSE to not eat gluten.
  2. What CAN you eat? Although I did just say that all of the best food the world has to offer contains gluten, there is still food that I can eat. Not everybody that cannot eat gluten just starves themselves until they die. Some “normal” food can be made gluten free, and there are also some foods that do not have gluten that I can eat. Chips and salsa are my life saver! Every gluten free person finds their favorite things that they can eat and just goes with it. But that is not much different than people that can eat gluten.
  3. What happens when you eat gluten? You really do not want to know. I do not want to discuss what happens inside my body when I partake of the forbidden substance gluten. A massive headache, killer pains in my stomach, and uncontrollable gas to name a few. Different foods that contain gluten invoke a different reaction in me so I never really know what will happen. It is like playing Russian roulette with each shot containing a different miserable symptom.
  4. Sorry, I should not eat this around you. Just because I cannot eat all of the amazing things containing gluten does not by any means mean that I do not want the people around me to eat it. I love bread, why would I not want to see other people eating it? My gluten intolerance does not need to effect those around me. Eat all of the cakes and cookies you can, on occasion I might even ask you to eat one for
  5. We are going to ________ restaurant, but they have salads you can get. Okay this one gets me. Just because I cannot eat gluten does not mean that I want to have salad for every meal. Would you gluten eaters want to eat a salad every time you go out to eat? I do not think so. Do not get me wrong I do love a good salad, but it is so annoying when people assume you would love to eat another salad so that they can eat at the restaurant of their choice.

When you find yourself meeting a person that is gluten intolerant make sure not to say any of these things and you will gain a new bestie for life!