Five Signs You Were Raised in the South

Five Signs You Were Raised in the South

If your accent doesn't give you away, then some of the customs and traditions definitely will.
9

There are more than enough signs that can dictate you were raised in the South. Some of these signs can include your grandma's vocabulary or what you had for dinner. If your accent doesn't give you away, then some of the customs and traditions definitely will. Below are only five of the many signs that you were raised in the south.

1. Fireworks or Gunshots

Growing up with a firing range behind my house, I could never dictate whether guns were being shot, or fireworks were spraying across the sky. I assumed it was fireworks during July, but living in the south, it could easily be both.

2. Cornbread

I spent a lot of time with my grandparents when I was younger, and one food that was always on the table at every meal was cornbread. They lived for it, I on the other hand couldn't stand it and still can't to this day. For them it was and still is a staple.

3. "Yonder"

My great grandma, being as Southern as they come, uses this word to death. She can either mean five feet in front of her or ten miles down the road when she uses it. I always assumed it was the ten miles down the road option, considering she has her arm outstretched in front of her.

4. Mason Jars

Mason jars, in the Southern world, are used for more than just the storage of three year old pickles. Many families, mine included, use mason jars as makeshift glasses. So what there aren't any clean glasses, a mason jar will work just as well.

5. Deep Fried Everything

Being raised in the South, everything is deep fried. On one occasion, my great grandma fried some chicken wings, covered them in batter, and deep fried them again. I'm sure that in most Southern states, this is more than common.