5 Reasons Why UFC Had the "Real" Women's Revolution

WWE promoted a hashtag while UFC went all in on the women; let's find out five reasons how they made it happen.

93
Google

Look, let me start off by saying this: I have not been a fan of UFC for all that long and I'm still more or less on the casual end of being a fan (a term I admittedly don't like). WWE on the other hand has been in my life for the better part of 15 years, AKA the vast majority that I've been alive. I personally don't care if one is "combat sports" and the other is "sports entertainment," or that one overworks their talent far more than the other, yadda yadda yadda. Both promotions need each other and feed off of each other, whether you like it or not.

However, I'll be the first person to tell you that UFC is doing a far, far superior job handling their women's division(s!!!) over anything that WWE has ever done with their (singular) women's division. Once upon a time in 2011, Dana White said that he wasn't interested in ever having any women's division in the UFC... in 2017, women have main evented UFC pay-per-views multiple times. WWE can't even figure out who they want to be as Raw's Women's Champion in 2017.

Let me elaborate and break down why (I think) UFC is where the real "Women's Revolution" took place.

1. As stated initially, the women have main evented UFC pay-per-views multiple times and before WWE did. Let's look at some statistics:

2011: Dana White said he'd never see women in his promotion.
2013: Ronda Rousey v Liz Carmouche main-evented UFC 157 and was the inaugural women's fight in the promotion as well. / Ronda Rousey v Miesha Tate main-evented UFC 168.
2014: Ronda Rousey v Sara McMan main-evented UFC 170.
2015: Ronda Rousey v Cat Zingano main-evented UFC 184. / Ronda Rousey v Bethe Correia main-evented UFC 190. / Ronda Rousey v Holly Holm main-evented UFC 193.
2016: Miesha Tate v Amanda Nunes main-evented UFC 200.
2017: Holly Holm v Germaine de Randamie main-evented UFC 208 for the inaugural Women's Featherweight Championship. / Amanda Nunes v Valentina Shevchenko will main event UFC 215 (article written day of event).

In a matter of six years, UFC went from having zero women's division to having three (Women's Strawweight, Women's Featherweight, Women's Bantamweight) where women can expect to main event a pay-per-view at least once a year, if not twice (or more). They received high promotion regarding promos and posters/advertisements, and fans could believe that there was a big fight feel with these main events.

Over at WWE, Sasha Banks v Charlotte Flair main-evented Hell in a Cell on October 30, 2016. Only problem is, beforehand, people were not sure if these two would be closing the show. WWE adores shoving history down people's throats, especially during this feud, so it was odd that it was not a surefire thing until the pay-per-view started - they were excited to tell you that these women were the first to go inside Hell in a Cell, but to tell the audience that they were main-eventing? Too complicated. Women have not main-evented a pay-per-view since then either.

2. To continue off the first point, the women have main evented Fight Nights regularly as well.

WWE is getting better at handing the women the keys to the main event of Raw and Smackdown, admittedly, but usually only if #history is involved.

3. UFC didn't need to make the women scream out #DivasRevolution / #WomensRevolution in order to make a change; they just did it.

All it took was a high profile Women's feud in Strikeforce to sign both Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey, and suddenly there were women main eventing the freakin' pay-per-views! WWE brought up three women from NXT and plugged #DivasRevolution (use the hashtag...) whenever they could... even though no woman was allowed to stand out and they were shoved in groups of three and some women still weren't even a part of it and no one cared about the Divas Championship... and they were still called Divas... and they could only get two segments per show and one/two segment(s) per pay-per-view... Why was this a revolution again? Who were they revolting against - the establishment who brought them up? against Team Bella who were just a bunch of mean girls? Paige who kept whining about losing?

4. UFC never labeled their Women's Division as 'Divas.'

Need I say more? The only difference between the men's weight classes and the women's is the "Women's" before weight class. Fans had to beg for the women to be called women and not Divas.

5. The rivalry that sparked changed in UFC actually created long-lasting change.

Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate are what started all of the women's divisions that UFC now has because of their feud, and it caught the attention of the boss, Dana. Ronda was signed and promoted to UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion (a continuation of her reign as Strikeforce Bantamweight Champion), and holding the title for so long allowed people to get to know her (and her opponents by extension), allowing for a natural ascension to the top. Blood was shed, talk was smacked, and UFC was bringing in the money. But when Ronda lost her title and eventually retired(?), surely no other woman could step up to the plate... except Miesha and Holm and Nunes and Shevchenko are all main eventers. Other women were allowed to shine as competitors and champions even without Ronda around, and they did it and continue to do it to this day (and for the future!). Women get promoted, treated like the men's feuds, and fight the way they want to; as a female fan, that makes me proud. I talk a lot about the pay-per-views since that is what a lot of people watch, however they still grab the spotlight there as well. In UFC pay-per-views, women are now guaranteed a spot (even multiple), and it isn't treated like a big deal because of their gender - it's treated like a big deal because there is a feud here, and they want to fight.

WWE is like a whole other world... unless it's in the context of #history or #Revolutions, the women, to this day, are struggling to find enough time on both shows. Raw is on for three hours every Monday at 8, which people complain is too much, however, the women can only seem to have maybe 15 minutes and only one match. Two if they're feeling lucky! Smackdown had been following the lead of the UFC, where women were regulars on the pay-per-view (three women's matches at Elimination Chamber? Hot dog! Never been done before!) and they weren't screaming history every two seconds... however, ever since Wrestlemania, the women of the blue brand were stuck together in an all-division feud, which was... okay, but then some women started disappearing... where is Becky Lynch? where is Charlotte Flair? If they weren't in the title picture, they weren't on Smackdown anymore, even though they are the more technically sound wrestlers of the division. Charlotte could be understood due to her father's health issues, but she was still nowhere to be found after his health improved. Not only that but the allotted time for the women on Smackdown started to decrease. Multiple times in 2017, people were questioning whether or not they would see the women on either show which after all the screaming they did about the so-called #Revolution is not a good move for them to do at all.

I want change to happen, and the only way to make it is to use my voice. I am frustrated, I am annoyed, but can you imagine what it feels like to be Sasha Banks or Summer Rae or Emma or Becky Lynch or any of the women, to know that you work so hard to get noticed but you don't even know if you'll be working a show?

WWE, you have to do better.

UFC realized a long time ago that women in the octagon are just doing their business and the men are still thriving; WWE is still worried the women will emasculate the men.