Win With Wynn

Win With Wynn

Five Reasons Why Isaiah Wynn is My Favorite UGA Football Player

50
Win With Wynn
Times Free Press

The University of Georgia is poised to have a stellar year between the hedges! The Bulldogs have Sony Michel, Nick Chubb, Jacob Eason and a solid team returning this fall. Between them and Coach Smart, they bring real hope of a 2017 SEC Championship to Athens. Among that all-star line-up is also returning Senior and Offensive Guard, Isaiah Wynn.

Photo Credit: ugaathletics Instagram

When I head to the stadium this year, my jersey number will sport a bold #77 across the back. Not only has Isaiah been the real reason I’ve grown to love football, he is, and will continue to be for the rest of my life, my all-time favorite player. He is hilarious, honest, humble, helpful and one helluva football player.

1. Isaiah is HILARIOUS!

You can get a snapshot of Isaiah by tuning in to his Win with Wynn Wednesdays SnapChat videos. You can experience his jolly self and hear his positively infectious Bulldog updates in just a matter of seconds. Outside of the locker room and off the field, Isaiah is working toward the same degree that I am. During my sophomore year at UGA, I met Isaiah during a class and I haven’t stopped laughing since. It isn’t because he is loud and showy. In fact, it’s the opposite of that. He’s quiet but he speaks loudly with his hilarious expressions. I will never forget the day a fellow student sitting behind me and Isaiah asked some random question. I made a face “to myself” that Isaiah happened to see and he got the giggles. His laughter literally shook our entire row of seats. Under his breath after class, he said “Hayden. You can’t make faces like that. If I start laughing, the whole class will see!”

2. Isaiah is HONEST.

Most football players at UGA have mopeds or scooters. I have one, myself, and was assuming Isaiah had one, too. One day during a study session, I asked him which kind he had. He calmly looked at me and my roommate, Cori, and said “Hayden, I don’t ride those. They’re dangerous. I tried to ride my friend’s to get a pizza across the street one time and I left that thing sitting in the middle of the street. I walked me and my pizza the rest of the way home.” I wish I had a video of him illustrating what he said he looks like on a moped! It struck me how honest Isaiah was with us. There was this super strong athlete admitting there was no way he was going to be seen on a moped again. Over the summer I saw a sparkly new moped on sale. I texted him a picture of it and said, “Look…a scooter just for you!” His reply—“LOL. Those aren’t meant for big dudes.”

3. Isaiah is HUMBLE.

UGA’s #77 is clearly athletic and talented. You may have read the June edition of DawgNation where Seth Emerson says, “[Isaiah Wynn] is one of UGA’s four most important players this year.” Off the field, though, you would never know that Isaiah has bragging rights that could stretch from one end zone to the other. He keeps his successes on the field as OG on the LD and lets his friendships grow based on life beyond the hedges.

4. Isaiah is HELPFUL.

I can’t thank Isaiah enough for saving me from failing a class last year! He went far out of his way to help me get three assignments turned in from across the ocean. My family had gone on a short cruise when three hefty projects were posted as due the next day. Every time I reached a new port in the Caribbean, I’d race to the nearest Dunkin’ Donuts for WiFi access. During those frantic hours at port, I would either receive a picture of our latest assignment or I’d snap a picture of my completed work for him to turn in. All of this left him with tackling his own work, receiving mine, formatting it from text to a real document, printing, packaging and getting it turned in for me. Isaiah Wynn saved me from failing a class. I’ll be forever grateful for that.

5. Isaiah is a HELLUVA player.

On the field, Isaiah Wynn is clearly one heck of a football player. In 2016, he started 12 of 13 games, earned the Hugh Hendrix Award for being a player who strains his potential following spring practice, and received the Harriett Reppard Evans Football Scholarship. As UGA’s number 4 player in 2017, he will be critical to the Bulldog’s success. I hope to see our Dawgs playing in the National Championship and Isaiah at the next NFL draft but, beyond the hedges, it’s just as important to know that Isaiah is a “salt of the earth,” funny, trustworthy guy who has earned every right to be arrogant, but isn’t. He will go the distance to help a classmate and I am honored to know him.

This season at Sanford Stadium, I invite you cheer extra loud for UGA Bulldog #77! Along with our other amazing players, it looks like a win-win season is ahead of us, and Isaiah is a going to play a critical part in our dream team. After all, with a name like WYNN, you can’t lose!