Five Places To Get SPOOKED In Athens This Spooky Szn

What's that figure behind you? An Athens trick . . . or treat?

29
Cristina Formichelli

Look, guys, I know it's still 90 degrees and Mother Nature is blaring that heat down on good 'ol Athens Ohio and it's technically still, like, not even mid-September, but look around! Some of the leaves are changing! Girls are craving their sweaters and leggings and you'll spot plenty of groups of students sweating out of their minds playing football or other outdoor games. Spooky season is slowly, but still, coming upon us, and lucky for you, you're in the best town to be in for the autumn! If you haven't spent one in Athens yet, just you wait, it's downright gorgeous.

If there are any ghost junkies (like myself) out there looking for something fun to do around town in the HallOUween mood, you've come to the right article! I've collected my five favorite autumn activities to get around to this semester. Grab your friends, your crush, or for the extra daring, only bring yourself, for some good, clean, ghost-huntin' and fall-lovin' good times.

Stroll through the many cemeteries

media.giphy.com

Did you know that there are supposedly FIVE cemeteries positioned around Athens in the shape of a pentagram? Don't you love that for us? In the daytime, the cemeteries are eerily beautiful enough as it is, but, although you aren't supposed to be in cemeteries at night, I can't stop you from going into them past sunset if that's your wish. Highlights include the angel at the State Street Cemetary that is known to cry and the nature walk woods section of the Ridges main cemetery where you're bound to hear whispers of a former patient. The only things you need to bring are a flashlight and your utmost respect.

Visit the most haunted dorms on campus

Photo by Cristina Formichelli

An often overlooked campus ghost story is the one that took place in Crawford Hall when a student fell out of an open fourth-story window, crashing onto the pavement and dying. Venture up to the top floor and ask around about weird happenings, or maybe you'd have better luck on the fourth floor. Or spend the nights in Jefferson and Washington Halls, they are both rich with reports of marbles dropping onto the ceiling above your room in the middle of the night, even if you're on the very top floor. One of these is haunted by an ENTIRE women's basketball team! Or, you could stop by Voigt and catch Queen Irma roaming around the building that takes her name. Scott Quad, the oldest dorm on campus, is bound to be haunted as well. But, you probably know where I'm going to mention next, but Wilson Hall takes the cake, being the highest on the spook-o-meter. Several deaths have taken place on the dorm's fourth floor, one of them rumored to involve the occult. They say you can see the devil's face staring back to you on the wooden door.

Go to your professor's office hours

Terrifying!

Make the walk to The Ridges

Nothing says spooky like an old asylum! I mentioned the cemeteries, but you can actually go on a hayride tour of The Ridges later this semester if they're still offering it! They tell incredible stories of the rich history of the land, from ponds shaped like the suits of a deck of cards to lobotomies. They cover all the bases! Just don't try to break in because you WILL get arrested. Unless you don't get caught. But seriously, don't.

Stroll the shores of Stroud's Run Park

media.giphy.com

While the days are still hot, bask in the sunlight by the lapping water's edge and try not to think about the professor that murdered his wife and dumped her body, stuffed inside a barrel, into the lake. Try even harder to forget that he escaped prison nearby and has never been found . . .

If anything spooky happens, let me know! I've been dying for an experience myself, while simultaneously grateful nothing's happened.

Yet.