5 People You Will See On Game Day

5 People You Will See On Game Day

2
5 People You Will See On Game Day

If you’re like me, then game days are a sort of holiday  for you. Riding on a throne of free hot dogs and mimosas, game days will always be able to promise you a great time. Starting off bright and early, it’s a day where young and old alike will be repping the school color that they will forever cheer on. With the occasional appearance of the school drinking song, these, of all days, will henceforth be forever engrained in your memory. And in those happy memories, some types of gamedayers will stand out more than others. These are the five types of people you will meet.      

1. Alumni. This type of person will be one of the first to start off the game day tradition -- probably because they woke up two hours before you set your alarm for. All decked out in all their school clothing of yesteryear, these fans will tell you every piece of information about tradition you could ever want to know. With a family in tow, they can easily be spotted as the people eating food with a fork while holding their little girl on their back. Beware, despite their age they can still beat you in beer pong.     

2. Avid sports fan. This type of person is pretty obvious to spot because all they will be able to talk about on this day is the game. Whether they are the first one in the stadium or sitting front and center in front of the TV, this person can tell you about every stat or player you want to know about. Whenever you hear the drinking song or a school cheer, they probably started it. “Go, Bears,” is basically their mating call. It is very hazardous to talk to this person if your team loses, unless you think enraged depression is a good look.     

3. “I don’t understand sports” person. This person is the complete opposite of the avid sports fan. This is the type who thinks a touchdown is worth one point and that football lasts three innings. This person could not tell you the first thing about the large event that is the cause of celebration and should not be asked for updates on the score. Don’t let their jersey deceive you; they probably borrowed it from a friend because it looked cool. Mostly, this person is solely out here for the atmosphere, and maybe a free hot dog or two.     

4. Foodie. This person is merely coming out of their cave for the possibility of free food. Whether they try to sneak into the alumni section for the good stuff, or simply trying to grab some hamburgers, this person woke up dreaming of a happy stomach. If the grill is unmanned, this is the person who will step up to the challenge. If unable to fulfill their search for food, they might start trying to eat anything edible that is near -- like the Jello shots -- and may become very intoxicated. Just find this person a hot dog and they will be your BFF for the day.      

5. “I will out drink you all” person. This is the person who views game days as their Olympic opportunity. Game days are what they were born for and their time to shine. You may here this person chatting their motto, “Blackout or Back out” depending on the time of day. This is the day that they train for every other weekend of the year. Besides the alumni type, this is the only other person who will be up and ready to start their day when the sun is barely shining. Unless you are up for this dangerous challenge, never go drink for drink with this person. While this type might not remember their entire day, they will know for sure that they had the time of their lives.

Game days are the legendary days that we are lucky enough to be blessed with. The football gods have shined upon us and granted us a fall semester filled with Saturdays of procrastination and celebration. Although most of us will probably fall somewhere in between all these game day types, at the end of the day all of us will have a day to remember. All in all, game day is a day to flaunt your school spirit and show every other school why your team is number one -- even though you are probably not. 

Go, Bears!