5 Hard Pills You Gotta Swallow As A Young Adult

And no, I'm not referring to LITERAL pills.

196

At 18-years-old, I was very naïve to think that not much in my life was going to change and believed that people were exaggerating about life throwing some tough curve balls.

Oy vey, was I proved wrong.

Over the last three years since then, I have lost friends over ridiculous and unnecessary drama, dated a series of crappy boys, dealt with unfavorable people and the list goes on. Life gave me some hard pills to swallow and in order to become a better person, I had no choice but to take them and accept them.

Here are five relatable hard pills to swallow:

1. Many "friends" are selfish

media.giphy.com

These type of "friends" inevitably come into our lives and they will CONSTANTLY do things in THEIR benefit and never in yours, they take THEIR feelings into consideration rather than yours, they'll do whatever it takes for THEM to come before anyone including you. As much as this person claims to be your BFFL and tell you how much they love you, they could end up hurting you one way or another due to their selfishness. Although it is a harsh reality, encountering this type of "friend" will help you open your eyes and acknowledge those genuine friendships that you do have.

2. Your hardships aren't as harsh as you make them out to be

https://me.me/i/lost-my-earrings-in-the-ocean-kim-theres-people-that-16374698

Everyone faces adversity, it's a given fact. As much as it sucks to go through some rough stuff, we need to realize it does get better. Not only does it get better but we need to realize that there are people going through a much harder time. Many of us do not realize how privileged we are to live the life we are living. We have no room to complain when we get a bad grade and feel like the world is coming to an end when you take into account that others don't have it as good. Yes, it is 100% normal to face hardships but having a better well-rounded attitude will help us overcome these rocky roads.

3. People will not change as much as you want them to nor as much as you believe that they will

media.giphy.com

Love can most definitely be blinding and it can hurt us in both platonic and romantic relationships. As much we want someone we love to change an unfavorable quality they have, giving them pressures and ultimatums will not be the real driving force for them to change. Those pressures and those ultimatums will only provide temporary change and sooner than later, they'll go back their old ways. We need to allow people to see their own faults and come to a realization that they do need to change for themselves and not for us.

​​4. Our hopes and dreams can be easily crushed​​

media.giphy.com

Unfortunately, life is not perfect and we have to take alternate routes to get to the desired destination even though sometimes that destination is not what we had wished for. And sometimes that destination is closed off and have to go somewhere else. We work hard to get to where we want to be yet there are things that get in the way that deter us from making our dreams a reality. We need to be realistic but at the same time, we need to face challenges that come with chasing what we want.

5. You're not always going to be the "good guy"

media.giphy.com

We make mistakes, small and big ones. We need to hold ourselves accountable for our wrongdoings. We are not perfect and we should not blame others nor our situations for our own faults. We should not be hypocritical and believe that everything we do is good. It might be good for us personally but can be hurtful towards others. We need to be mindful that there is a great possibility that we can be like those people that have hurt us and need to avoid at all costs.